Cannot log in to YM via messenger

Discussion in 'Networking' started by carterleonard, Jul 19, 2008.

1. carterleonard

carterleonard

Hi again,...

I got a problem with the messenger program. I use Yahoo Messenger. Every time i tried to connect, it is always told
    me that log in just failed because of no reply.

Does anyone encountered a same problem like me?

Thank U

carterleonard, Jul 19, 2008
  2. carterleonard

Kev50027

That messaging program is terrible. Honestly, I've never seen such a terrible program for IM. Why they didn't include more programs like Skype and Pidgin I don't know, but the Aspire One's one hindering factor is NOT the hardware, it's the software. Firefox 2 is outdated, the messaging program is terrible, Media Master is Media Disaster. I love my One, and I'm going to do what I can to get the software that I want on here.

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it out ;) Now.. if someone could aid me in installing Skype and Firefox 3, I would be overjoyed.

Kev50027, Jul 19, 2008
  3. carterleonard

ovidius

Installing Skype is pretty easy. Choose the Fedora 7 version at the download site and install it via terminal. If you need help there, post me.

I installed the full version of Pidgin from the Fedora Repository, but had to deinstall Acer's IM and mail tool for this. Works perfectly.

As for Firefox 3, download it, and start it via Terminal. Works just fine.

ovidius, Jul 19, 2008
  4. carterleonard

carterleonard

Since Im a complete noob to linux,.. could anyone guide me to install Pidgin to linpus? I already downloaded the repo. But I dont know how to use it. Help me please...

Thank U.

carterleonard, Jul 19, 2008
  5. carterleonard

Kev50027

How would I go about installing from terminal? I tried "install Pidgin", but apparently it doesn't have it in the repository.

Thanks, I really appreciate all help.

Edit: I got it up and running finally. Also added a link to the home page. Thanks for your help everyone!

It was listed in the add/remove program, and after checking it and clicking apply (on the window beneath) it installed Pidgin just fine. Adding the link to the homepage was more complex, but it's explained in several other threads on here, like here:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=208

also here:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=175

Kev50027, Jul 20, 2008
Ask a Question