Cannot find installed programme

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I downloaded a programme called magic notebook from http://www.jonathanscorner.com/etc/magic_notebook/

and chose the Redhat RPM. It appeared to install ok on my system and if I try re-installing I get a message saying it is already installed, but I cannot find it in the advanced desktop mode anywhere and can't find it in usr/share/applications (Well I can find something called magic but I'm not sure that is the programme and I can't get it to launch if it is.)

Is there any other way to find where it is?
    I tried just adding a sequence to my desktop xml modification page but nothing happened

Thanks in advance

Guest, Jul 19, 2008
  2. Guest

Flaterik

The Magic you see could be the right program. So you can see if you find it in /usr/share. In this folder ther's all the application installed

Flaterik, Jul 22, 2008
  3. Guest

Christoper

Here is what I did.

I typed on the desktop (top right) search "magic" in the file desktop (scroll down from internet). Try executable files on the resulting searched files.

You'll find it running in no time.

Hope this works.

Christoper, Jul 22, 2008
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks, I can now find several files related to it but am not sure how to search executables? I went into /usr/share/applications and found a file called magic which is an executable, but clicking on it does nothing!

Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  5. Guest

Christoper

Been tryin many ways too in following that steps you made with magic but I myself can't work it out too. Help us! Anyone?

Christoper, Jul 24, 2008
  6. Guest

Christoper

:) Wow! Its been years since I last saw this post/reply of mine. Well, may it be delay, I was able to run exe files using WINE or windows emulator. However, not all exe files are running perfectly with wine. As suggested by others, find a similar software in the open source multi-verse.

Christoper, Mar 21, 2011
  7. Guest

Christoper

Lousy me, Magic is not an exe file. Sorry, try the terminal (alt f2), then type "ls", then copy/type the magic file with its extension and press enter. :oops:

Christoper, Mar 21, 2011
Ask a Question