Cannot Create Recovery USB Drive

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Sodafizz, May 9, 2009.

1. Sodafizz

Sodafizz

Acer Inspire One with Linux:

After running “Live Update” for the first time, the Network Center no longer works nor even opens up. I have visited the active thread elsewhere in this forum re. this exact problem, and no one has yet found a solution.

I now just want to create a recovery USB drive. On my home PC, I have set the BIOS accordingly. I put the Recovery disc in and, at bootup, my PC recognizes the disc. I get the first screen of the Recovery disc. I then select “Create Recovery USB Drive” and hit enter.

My PC’s screen then turns black and just stays that way indefinitely.

Any ideas?

Sodafizz, May 9, 2009
  2. Sodafizz

pling

Either contact Acer technical support or go on ebay and buy a usb stick already formatted with the recovery software. I'd bother Acer first. If you are in the UK and can't find a stick at a decent price and Acer let you down, then you can PM me and send me a blank stick with an SAE if it is Linux you need.

Don't forget to make sure you get the right OS (Linux or XP) on the stick if you buy on ebay!

Or you can download and install Linux4One Light or some such thing. So far I'm impressed with L4One.

pling, May 9, 2009
  3. Sodafizz

solpuerto

Hi Sodafizz

I remember this happened to me with Linux and I then tried another USB and no problems, also though the instructions say a 1GB USB I could never get that to work, sometimes it told me the USB was not big enough and other times it just hung. I used a 2GB Sandisk and that was OK.

Best wishes.

solpuerto, May 9, 2009
  4. Sodafizz

itres

itres, May 9, 2009
  5. Sodafizz

Sodafizz

Thanks everyone for the comments. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

1) http://www.mininova.org/tor/1618012 - downloaded the torrent for Acer Aspire One Recovery DVD (Linpus Lite) ISO.

2) Used Unetbootin to put the ISO onto my 2GB USB stick.

3) With the USB stick in the Acer, I bootup, pushing F12. I then get the “Aspire One” logo with a status bar, but the status bar just sits there, doing nothing. (I let it sit for at least an hour…) This is the same problem that another user posted on Mar 21, 2009 8:53:00 PM at Macles’ site:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... y-dvd.html

4) I then power down, reboot and try F2. I reorder the bootup sequence, so that the USB stick is in position #1. I then reboot again, and the Unetbootin screen appears with the following options listed:

Linpus Linux RCD
    Install
    USBdisk
    Harddisk

Here is what happens when I choose various options:

Intall: “Aspire One” status bar just sits there, doing nothing.
    USBdisk: “Aspire One” status bar just sits there, doing nothing.
    Linpus Linux RCD Linpus Linux RCD: “Aspire One” status bar just sits there, doing nothing.

Any further suggestions?

Sodafizz, May 10, 2009
  6. Sodafizz

barrie

Hi Sodafizz,

Personally I would use a 4GB stick and use these instructions as I know from personal experience that this method woks fine.
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7412
    As with any form of OS not all systems will react the same, and many find just creating the rescue USB stick a problem sometimes.

barrie, May 12, 2009
Ask a Question