Cannot connect wirelessly to internet

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by karenbrummer, Mar 17, 2009.

1. karenbrummer

karenbrummer

Hi there

I have read all posts in this section but haven't been able to find an answer, I really hope someone can help me.

I have the Acer Aspire One D150, the bios is 1.03. I have not been able to connect to the internet, it just says 'connecting' for a few minutes and then times out. A couple of times it has said 'connected' but then no websites work I just get the 'page cannot be displayed' or 'this website is not available offline'. Does anyone know how I can get online?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Karen

karenbrummer, Mar 17, 2009
  2. karenbrummer

ecumming

I had the same problem and thought I would have to return the computer but bought a new more powerful router and the problem has been fixed. Hope this helps. :roll:

ecumming, Mar 30, 2009
  3. karenbrummer

Wicked Tribe

The 10.1" Acer Aspire One ships with a bad Atheros AR5007EG driver. The driver one obtains from Windows Update website is also bad. By bad I mean it will not keep a stable wireless connection to most devices.

Now mind you, I have read of people disabling the power save feature on their wireless card properties as well as flashing the BIOS with the latest version.

There is really no need to do this. Acer, for some reason, does not have the latest Atheros Wireless driver on their website. Atheros does... in the Czech Republic. Here is the link to this driver. I have tested it, ran a virus scan on it and everything checks out. (No offense to the folks in the Czech Republic.. but that is one of the hot zones for virus writers.)

Download the driver, extract it, run setup. It will uninstall the current wireless driver. It will then appear to be installing the new driver. You have to run setup again for this to occur. If the new hardware wizard appears, click cancel and continue on with the driver install. Ignore the hardware is installed but may not be working correctly message that Windows issues forth. This is all due to doing an on the fly network driver install. Once installed, you should be reconnecting to your wireless router/access point rather rapidly. You will have to reenter your encryption key for your router (i.e. WEP, WPA, etc.).

I have upgraded the driver on the 1st Gen Acer Aspire One 8.5" and the brand new 10.1" we bought yesterday. Both upgrades worked flawlessly.

I also noted an increase in browsing speed. It could just be me... but..

http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?athe ... G&system=1

There is the link. Enjoy!

Wicked Tribe, Apr 3, 2009
  4. karenbrummer

JL2652000

I experienced a similar problem. It looked as though it had a wireless connection but could not load any pages. I brought it to a different wireless network (my workplace) and was able to connect fine. So I bought a new router and have had no problems since then.

JL2652000, Apr 3, 2009
Ask a Question