Canadian Models - How to get fullsize left shift

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Zed03, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Zed03

Zed03

Edit: Turns out this is the standard International model, not just Canadian.

The first thing the Canadians probably notice is their crazy keyboard with pale green splattered all over it to accompany the French.

If you are not French, or care not for French keyboard layout, you might have noticed you now have some useless keys. An example is the pipe, backslash (| \) key beside the left shift and the, exact same, pipe, backslash (| \) key beside the enter key.

Well, using this utility, you can now map the key beside the left shift, to left shift, and get a fullsize left shift key :)

Steps:

1. Download http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

2. Install it and run it

3. Click the "Full Teach Mode" button at the bottom.

4. A dialogue will appear, click "Begin Teach Mode"

5. Press the pipe/slash key beside the left shift

6. Press the left shift key

7. Click "Remap Key#1 to Key#2"

8. Click through and accept the dialogue boxes, exit KeyTweak utility and restart when prompted.

9. (Optional) You can now uninstall KeyTweak to remove clutter from your disk space.

Enjoy your crazy keyboard with full size shift Canadians :D

Zed03, Aug 29, 2008
  2. Zed03

dealersing

Anything for Linux?

dealersing, Aug 29, 2008
  3. Zed03

beeng

For Linux:

Create a new file called " .Xmodmap " in your ~ (aka /home/usr) ; enter the following:

Code:
    keycode 94 = Shift_L
    add shift = Shift_L
    Reboot and the crazy <> key will be a shift key. (gotta love how fixing this on linux is half as long as on windows haha)

beeng, Aug 29, 2008
  4. Zed03

dealersing

Wow! It works! Linux is always the best when you know how.

dealersing, Aug 30, 2008
  5. Zed03

BrainBot

Thanks, that was the one thing about the keyboard I just couldn't get used to.

BrainBot, Sep 3, 2008
  6. Zed03

Phil_Urich

Many many thanks; at first it wasn't working for me, and I was confused as hell since I couldn't figure out why my .Xmodmap file wasn't doing anything, but somehow I had mistyped "keycore" instead of "keycode", heh. And very funny about the difference in the fix times :D

Phil_Urich, Sep 9, 2008
  7. Zed03

jpnjim

Nice.

I just used it to turn my CAP LOCK key into another Shift key.

With this small keyboard, I would always lock into caps, when I hit the left shift.

Nice tweak, thanks.

jpnjim, Sep 11, 2008
  8. Zed03

protovision

if you are willing to swap out your keyboard, here's another way, posted in the hardware forum:

http://sourceits.com/NeedParts.html

EDIT: d'ohh, just realized this is the software forum, oops...

protovision, Oct 10, 2008
  9. Zed03

spaceholiday

This sounds great! However, I am a complete n00b. Does this mean I create a text file named .Xmodmap and enter the two lines in the body? Or does it mean that I need to create a file from the terminal enter these lines as commands?

I also don't have /home/usr... I have /usr... so this confuses me as well.

spaceholiday, Oct 30, 2008
  10. Zed03

Phil_Urich

It means create a text file in your home directory, which should be /home/user, but is also where a terminal pops you down by default :)
    anyways, it's your home directory, and the .Xmodmap file in it should contain the code-quoted two lines as the body. You can just use Mousepad or whatever to make the file, I have nano installed so I just opened a terminal and went "nano .Xmodmap" and wrote those two lines.

If you do it right, you should be able to open up a terminal and type in "cat .Xmodmap" and it'll spit those two lines in the text file back at you, it'll look like this:

Code:
    [user@localhost ~]cat .Xmodmap
    keycode 94 = Shift_L
    add shift = Shift_L
    To reiterate, the instructions are just "make a file called .Xmodmap, have it contain those two lines, and have it in your main directory which should be /home/user and shows up in the default file manager as "home"".

Phil_Urich, Nov 3, 2008
  11. Zed03

Yst

More than anything else, it was the absence of a Right Alt key, and the presence of the (to me) useless Alt Car key in its place, which frustrated me, about the Canadian model. Consequently, my .Xmodmap file contains the lines

Code:
    remove mod5 = ISO_Level3_Shift
    keysym ISO_Level3_Shift = Alt_R
    The puny Left Shift, oddly enough, didn't really bother me. But the total absence of a Right Alt immediately did.

Yst, Nov 24, 2008
  12. Zed03

spaceholiday

Woot! This is great! Now if I hit the silly pipe/backslash it won't matter anymore.

Thanks for sharing.

spaceholiday, Feb 2, 2009
Ask a Question