Can you keep the AAO on 24/7?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Tallytail, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Tallytail

Tallytail

if i just left it on with the charger plugged in, is it safe to keep it on without ever shutting it down?

reason is i am thinking of using the AAO as a media center in the living room, so i can browse web and watch movies.

thanks guys.

Tallytail, Nov 4, 2008
  2. Tallytail

Tamrac

You could. But laptops were not designed this way. You can use it without the battery, but if power fails. You'll now risk losing data or corrupting the OS. I would recommend getting a budget desktop PC instead if you're planning on using it 24/7. Asus has an atom based desktop PC, the EEE Desktop w/c is probably what you want. Cheers.

Tamrac, Nov 4, 2008
  3. Tallytail

spyderms

I don't see why not. There are concerns about 'overcharging' your battery, but aren't electronics smart enough to stop charging these days? I keep mine plugged in sometimes, just as I do with many of my electronics (Nintendo DS, cell phone, etc).

spyderms, Nov 4, 2008
  4. Tallytail

Forone

Take the battery out - will run just fine on ac without it. I ran an old Dell laptop as a backup "desktop" for nearly a year without a battery or LCD screen. Take the usual precaution of a surge protected power bar. Reinsert and charge up the battery periodically to keep it active.

Forone, Nov 4, 2008
  5. Tallytail

nmesisca

still, i think you would be looking at shortening the AAO life quite a bit.
    I wouldnt be surprised if it goes KO in a few months.
    Its a laptop, but especially a ultraportable, hardly a device used to be on 24/7.
    Everything is quite crammed in there, keeping it on 24/7 would put a big straing on fan and solderings.
    Should you decide to go ahead, please keep posting the AAO's conditions.

nmesisca, Nov 4, 2008
  6. Tallytail

rory

but as im sure people will point out, we all have ancient computers, so they dont exactly wear out fast...
    plus, solder melts at about 250 degrees celsius, so it wont put any wear on the solderings

rory, Nov 4, 2008
  7. Tallytail

Tallytail

solder melting? ;) xbox360 RROD heheh. Anyways i guess it wont be on literally 24/7 but it will be plugged in for extended period. yah, i think taking out the battery should help a lot. I got the aao instead of the asus eee pc box because i will still use it as a laptop and it the aao does everything the eee box does right and even more.

question: is there anyway to keep the aao from shutting down when i close the screen?

Tallytail, Nov 4, 2008
  8. Tallytail

nmesisca

ancient pcs are much more reliable in terms of resilience to thermal variations due to the different soldering processes they used. as correctly stated, look at the RROD in Xbox360. the soldering does not have to melt at all, just 'detach' somehow.
    I wouldnt do it in any case..

nmesisca, Nov 4, 2008
  9. Tallytail

woogal

I ran a libretto 50ct upgraded with a 6gb hd as a file/web server for 3 years without any problems (apart from the hd being a bit on the big side and cracking the case) and I only stopped using it because it wasn't needed anymore, not because it broke. Longest continuous uptime was probably around a year.

woogal, Nov 4, 2008
  10. Tallytail

nmesisca

singol cases are one thing, statistically tho, electronic appliance's life IS shortened by heat and the likes.

nmesisca, Nov 4, 2008
  11. Tallytail

Chicago_Jake

Yes, go to your "settings" section from the Home screen. I don't remember the exact subsection, but it's in there someplace.....Jake

Chicago_Jake, Nov 4, 2008
  12. Tallytail

moby

Tallytail wrote:question: is there anyway to keep the aao from shutting down when i close the screen?

You right click on the little plug or battery symbol in the bottom right corner of your screen and click "Adjust Power Properties". A window opens up and you use "Always On" with all settings set to "Never" (except turn off monitor).

moby, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question