Can you help me bring this HP back from the dead?

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by SweetMamaKaty, Jun 8, 2015.

1. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKaty

The poor thing has multiple issues, but since I want to replace it (and may not be able to get much with my budget) perhaps I should take a look at fixing it instead!

HP EliteBook 8730w
    s/n: CNU84351PN
    p/n: KSO68UT#ABA

Notes about the OS: It is not my primary computer - there is nothing on it I care about saving, so maybe that will be helpful, as I think it may need to go back to square one. I got it used several years ago when a local business left town. It initially had Windows 7 Pro on it, but when we took it out of town on a trip, it did an update while on public wi-fi. This apparently did something bad to it. It now says "Windows 7, Build 7601, This copy of Windows is not genuine" in the lower right corner and the background is changed to black. I didn't get any disks with it though to try fixing this.

I really don't want to use it like this, but I don't know - Would Windows 8 even run on such an old machine, and is it worth the $100 to get it? I think I have an old Windows XP disk that I could use around here somewhere, from a long-gone laptop. Also, just now as I flipped it over to get the model number, I saw there is a tag with a Windows Vista Business product key - but I always heard bad things about Vista. That being said, if it would get me running again without a $100 outlay, I'd do it. I don't need Office for it, since it's a back up that just needs to go online. It actually still functions this way, I just feel putting a proper OS on is the right thing to do.

Problems which make it unusable:
    1. The video driver is going out. The screen will occasionally black out - sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't and I have to hard reset. I have tried updating the driver, but it says it's on the most current version. ATI Mobility FireGL V5725

2. It locks up very frequently - the screen is still visible, but the mouse won't move, CTRL/ALT/DEL does nothing, key strikes to attempt shutting it down properly do nothing. This is the worst of the problems, as it will just get restarted, then freeze again as soon as I open an internet browser. Frustrating and a waste of time.

3. It is so grindlingly (yes, a made up word just for this situation!) slow that if you are able to use the thing for more than a few minutes without either of the above two issues happening, you will die a slow death waiting for your page to load. Forget doing more than one thing at once, which by the way is just what I want to be able to do - have multiple tabs open, maybe even multiple browsers, with lots going on, videos streaming, things running in the background, etc. I'm able to do this on my little HP 2000 Notebook (primary), but I want to spare it the wear and tear.

4. These two don't make it unusable, they're just problems that exist - It gets very hot, and the battery is shot so it has to stay plugged in all the time.

Things I have tried:
    I have only very basic computer knowledge. I have done disk cleanup and defrag, run CCleaner and Malwarebytes, and have Ad-Aware on it. I don't know but that it may still have a virus or malware sneaking through anyway. For some reason in the back of my mind, I'm thinking it should just be wiped and start fresh somehow, though I know that won't help the video driver issue.

I am able to follow detailed instructions, so I'm open to trying just about anything, just don't get me electrocuted. :eek:

SweetMamaKaty, Jun 8, 2015
  2. SweetMamaKaty

something back

Although it's a circa 2009 machine it was a quality machine for it's time which had an excellent graphics capability overtaking the mac at the time ,verdict it's worth keeping, and trying to recover it.

The graphic driver problem could possibility be resolved when you sort out the
    operating system problems.

It does not sound like a hardware problem but simply a software problem.

No need to electrocute you at this point.

If windows 7 pro ran on the machine then I cannot see why windows 8 wont.

Try pressing F11 at Boot to reinstall the Operating System from the Recovery partition if available.

Goto the start button then type restore, see if you have a very old restore point the older
    the better.

Report back please.

something back, Jun 8, 2015
    SweetMamaKaty likes this.
  3. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKaty

Thanks for your response!

I'm having a little trouble getting into the advanced screens at boot up for some reason. It says press Esc, but when I press it, it ignores me and completely starts up anyway. Then I have to shut it back down to try again. From the time or two I was able to get in that far, I didn't have F11 as an option, there was an F10 and F12 (and other options - if I can get that far again I will write them down). So not knowing what to select from the options I had, I got to a screen (either through F10 or F12, I forget) that showed Windows 7, but with no way to do anything to it. The other choice in that screen was Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool which discovered no memory errors. Is F11 the entrance to the Recovery Partition, or are they two different things?

In the regular start menu typing restore, my oldest restore point is a date in 2013, but I know the OS issue happened before then. Would it still be worth going back?

Edit - got it!

F1 System Information
    F2 System Diagnostics
    F7 HP SpareKey
    F9 Boot Device Options - Notebook Upgrade Options, Notebook Hard Drive, Notebook Ethernet
    F10 BIOS Setup
    F12 Network Boot

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    SweetMamaKaty, Jun 8, 2015
  4. SweetMamaKaty

something back

F11 could well be your way in, it alters from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The trick is to power on then press the right f key as fast and often as possible
    your machine may show the manufacturer home screen before you can try.

I would try going back, does it not give you a choice to go further.

I would also download two more programs one to recover the serial number
    for windows. It's called magic jelly bean finder

http://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php?query=serial&B1.x=0&B1.y=0&boolean=exact

The other is to try cleaning out some conflicts I would only run it once.
    It's called wise registry cleaner.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php?query=wise+reg&B1.x=0&B1.y=0&boolean=exact

If you could recover the correct serial number then Microsoft offers a recovery cd/dvd.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

something back, Jun 8, 2015
  5. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKaty

Alright, plugging along. Thank you so much for all these links to use! Not sure if this is progress or a road block - you decide. :)

The Magical Jelly Bean Finder was able to find a key for Windows 7 Pro Service Pack 1, so I have that written down now - I vaguely remember it being something having to do with service pack the day it all went away.

The Wise Registry Cleaner was able to find and clear a lot of problems, but left a lot too. AxtiveX had a lot of issues, would that have been troubling my video card? Here's a screenshot of the report after running it once. I see it has a scheduler, should I be doing this on a regular basis?
    [​IMG]

Lastly, the disappointing part. When I went to the last link you provided and entered the key, it gave me this error:
    System Error
    We encountered a problem with the product key you provided. Please visit the Microsoft Support Contact Us page for assistance. Refer to Message Code 715-123130.

I found this in reference to the problem, but I'm not really sure what to make of it, except that maybe back to the Service Pack thing. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Windows-7-activation-error-invalid-product-key Perhaps the original owner only installed part of the OS, is that even possible? Maybe the timing was coincedental,and it just happened to expire while we were out of town - it was about a month after we got the laptop come to think of it...

SweetMamaKaty, Jun 9, 2015
  6. SweetMamaKaty

something back

Your setup serial number has been rejected that's what the code is indicating.

Microsoft is refusing to allow you the download, reasons are your
    serial number is for an OEM version, and the download page will
    only allow a serial number that is for a valid “retail version” and not a OEM.

Alls not lost if you can find someone with a windows 7 disk then
    this should work. I still cannot say that you serial number is legal.

I would still choose clean using wise reg cleaner nothing to lose.

If as you have said you only require the laptop for a back up, and only
    require it for internet use, and word processing then why not
    load a linux operating system.

It's easy to do,and you will have the option to run it from a usb flash drive
    or a cd/dvd. Without the need to install it, giving you the option to decide to try to recover
    the windows operating system later.

Once you have loaded linux it should automatic load all drivers.
    This alone could resolve your issues.

Just click on the internet icon, and enter your router password, and
    you should be away. It's that easy.

something back, Jun 9, 2015
  7. SweetMamaKaty

something back

I have one last thought if you are still receiving the full updates regularly
    then fingers crossed you should be offered the free windows 10 update at the
    end of the month.

If so then you will have a fully working version installed after this update.

What has your other computer got AS IT'S OPERATING SYSTEM

if it's windows 7 then create a recovery disk then use it to recover the old one

Instructions here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  8. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKaty

Oh, this is all surprising!

I have heard of Linux by name only, but know nothing of it. I would be willing to do that if they can coexist - is that why you say to put it on a USB or disk, so that it's only "on" the computer when in use?

I'm very curious myself now about the Windows 10 update. It does still receive updates in some form, but I have no idea if they are complete or not.

Edit: The operating system on my primary is Windows 8 (or is it 8.1?...)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  9. SweetMamaKaty

something back

The linux version you choose will run in ram,and will disappear when you turn off.
    So trying a few is no problem.

There are many versions to choose, here's some:

ubuntu , linux mint , Linux Lite , and may more

It's looking GREAT for your old machine receiving the free windows 10 update.
    Given you are receiving updates,it also indicates it's genuine.

Some time “next year” if you receive the windows 10 update you will be able
    to do a fresh install.

Have fun

Something back

10. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKaty

Your help has really been invaluable, thank you so much! If I run into problems with Linux, I will start a new thread just for that.

11. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKaty

Hmm, well I'm still having issues. Let me know I guess whether I should continue here or move to a different thread, but it's the same things from before, so I don't think it's a Linux problem.

I was excited and proud of myself for being able to get Ubuntu saved to a zip drive and booted though! It must be very easy. :D

Last night, after getting it up and running, I installed Chrome and Adobe Flash to test it. It's definitely faster than before. It worked for awhile playing a video online - I didn't time it but less than an hour before the screen was black. I could see the white arrow for the mouse, which was unusual. Editing to add: It was incredibly hot at this time. So I shut it off with the power button, which I hate to do. Started all back up, but here's a question - I had to reinstall Chrome and Flash, will I have to reinstall them each time, or do you think it was just because it crashed?

That time playing the video, when it froze (less than an hour again) it was back to the more recent type of freeze, where I can still see the screen but not do anything. Editing to add: Warm, but not terribly hot like before. The mouse would occasionally flicker though, so this time I left it overnight. I hoped it would eventually snap out of it, but this morning the screen was black and locked up. Not hibernating, no button presses or anything would bring it back. So I shut if off with the power button again. :oops: Should I be removing the zip drive before I do that?

I'm attempting to start it back up right now, but it's stuck at the ubuntu loading screen with the 5 dots below the word. Have I damaged it? I'm not too concerned about that I guess, since it could be redone. However, I take it this means my problems are with the computer itself?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    SweetMamaKaty, Jun 10, 2015
  12. SweetMamaKaty

something back

It's sounding like you have an overheating laptop. Have you checked to see if the
    vents are clear from fluff.

At the side of your laptop you should see vents, it's easy to take it to a gas station/ petrol station,
    and use the air line to clear out any dust and fluff.

You could have affected the usb linux operating system by switching off as you did so reload it again.

Anything you install in linux will have to be reinstalled, reasons you have not chosen to
    install it, but are just running it from the flash drive. When you turn off it's all lost.

Well done by the way for attempting to run a new system.

something back, Jun 10, 2015
  13. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKaty

I use a can of compressed air periodically, and have just done it again, but it sounds like taking it to an air compressor might be in order. Ironic that it would freeze up by getting too hot. :p

That makes sense about nothing being saved, I just need to get to a point where it's not constantly being restarted I guess.

Thanks. I actually like Ubuntu well enough (so far) that I almost wouldn't care if I can't get my Windows back, if only I can keep the computer running!

SweetMamaKaty, Jun 10, 2015
  14. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKaty

My husband has informed me that the air nozzles at the stations here will only work if placed on the tire (I have no point of reference). So I have done a more thorough job with the can of compressed air, and it seems to be running better - for longer stretches of time at least.

If it does continue to freeze up now having been cleaned, is that just something that is to be expected from an old laptop - or could there possibly be something else that could be done? I want to get it in as good condition as possible, but without wearing out my welcome here!

Editing to add: As it is heating up now, I don't believe the fan is running! It's getting hot, but no air is coming from the vents.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    SweetMamaKaty, Jun 11, 2015
  15. SweetMamaKaty

something back

something back, Jun 11, 2015
  16. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKaty

I'm quite intimidated by the workstation guidelines at the beginning (p46).

The manual refers to a heat sink for a few different items, and the fact that a replacement would come with the kit to replace the part itself - graphics card, processor, etc. Is that what you mean, or is this a separate grease that could be applied where/as needed?

I'm wondering if this is where I need to stop - or do you think a novice could accomplish this?

Edit - I almost forgot to mention this. During a startup yesterday, it went through a new step that I had never seen before. I tried to write down what it said, but missed parts, so this is just bits and pieces I'm afraid.

Checking file system
    NTFS

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency

deleting - something I missed
    recovering orphaned file emalware......

It then proceeded to start up and ran as usual - this was back on "Windows" as I hate to keep crashing and damaging the USB drive repeatedly since it takes so long to download again.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    SweetMamaKaty, Jun 12, 2015
  17. SweetMamaKaty

something back

If you can do the repair yourself, depends on nerve,and patience.

It's fiddly, and you will need to be prepared with different dishes to keep the variety of different screws separated that are removed.

A well lit space, and a variety of small magnetic screw drivers are a must.

Page 67 it shows removal of processor heat sink.

You see four doted lines and underneath is the cpu,you can see a square on the cpu top that's where
    the thermal grease would go, “on that square”.

Also thermal grease would need to be applied to the top of the graphic chip
    again “on top of the graphic card square” page 65.

A EXAMPLE OF THE GREASE can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...earch-alias=aps&field-keywords=THERMAL+GREASE

If you do decide to undertake the repair then it's good practice to replace
    the rtc battery page 58 as they should only last approx 6 years or less.

It should be a cr2032 battery approx cost $2 or £1

If you need to reload the software to the flash drive then keep a copy of the iso.

The instructions you received is, either there was a disk problem or some files had been disturbed.

And windows had tried to rectify it for you.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    something back, Jun 12, 2015
  18. SweetMamaKaty

jamesbonner

the solution is so simple bro, first of all your hp should came with windows 7, you can just make it back as it was the first time but recover the windows, you'll lose your data so you should store them on external hard drive or somewhere, once you recover the windows and reset it to factory settings, it will be so fast and it was the first time,
    the screen problem when it goes black, it may be bigger than the driver, the graphical card may be dead because I had the same problem, you have to replace it (which is really hard) or replace the mother card it will cost less and last longer :)

jamesbonner, Dec 30, 2015
  19. SweetMamaKaty

nytegeek

@jamesbonner This is a pretty old topic to be reviving, I'm sure the OP already got the answers needed by now and it's a good thing too. Wiping the drive and reinstalling windows doesn't really pertain to the problems listed and wouldn't have resolved anything.

nytegeek, Dec 31, 2015
Ask a Question