Can you boot from either card slot?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by fortunz, Oct 31, 2008.

1. fortunz

fortunz

My AAO is still a few days away from delivery, so I can't check. But does anyone know/would anyone be willing to check and see if the bios wil let you set either card slot up in the boot order setup?

I'd like to play with linux without doing a traditional dual boot setup, because my goal is going to be optimal xp boot time, and having to choose which OS to boot to at the beginning takes that down a notch. So I want to it to boot to whatever linux distro I have if the linux card is in the slot, and auto-boot to xp if it isn't.

Right now I'm deciding on my SD card purchases. If I can boot from a card slot, I'm going to want at least one high speed, class 6 card. If you can boot from the multi card slot, I might even choose a different card standard if it's faster than SD. Then I'll probably get a second slower card for storage reasons.

fortunz, Oct 31, 2008
  2. fortunz

dirk

No, cant be done.
    The SD slots are not supported by the BIOS for booting.

USB memory sticks work just fine though.

dirk, Oct 31, 2008
  3. fortunz

melhiore

melhiore, Oct 31, 2008
  4. fortunz

fortunz

Thank you both.

fortunz, Oct 31, 2008
  5. fortunz

rory

i think we should be asking "can you search"

rory, Oct 31, 2008
  6. fortunz

donec

Why?

I mean as far as anyone knows they may have searched but also they may not have been able to do much searching due to handicaps, limited internet access or other reasons. Besides if you don't want to answer people that do not bother to search then you don't have to. Giving advice or answering questions is everyones free choice. No one is under any obligation to answer post.

donec, Oct 31, 2008
  7. fortunz

splurgegun

is it possible to install Grub to the MBR of the SSD and set menu.lst to boot an OS off an SDHC card?

sg

splurgegun, Jan 28, 2009
  8. fortunz

jackluo923

Why waste time when you can just get a $2 usb multi-card reader and you can boot from an flash card.

jackluo923, Jan 28, 2009
  9. fortunz

donec

I don't know where you can find a "$2 USB multi-card reader" but you can get a USB reader for SDHC cards from Walmart and then you can boot from the USB reader for $8.00.

donec, Jan 28, 2009
  10. fortunz

griff5w

I came and search about booting from the sdhc slots.

The reason for doing that is to keep from wiping out Linpus which my wife likes, yet be able to run things like moblin and kuki and gOS..... BUT, I don't want to have a USB fob sticking out the side! Being able to run from a simple little 8GB SDHC would make things much easier.

So, has anyone found a way to get Grub to load a kernel/os from SDHC?

griff5w, Jan 30, 2009
  11. fortunz

elmago79

This guy managed to boot Eeebuntu 2.0 from a SD on the AAO. It sounds quite complicated, but it can be done.

elmago79, Feb 2, 2009
  12. fortunz

stepppy

I think I read somewhere that if you put your SD card into a card reader, the acer then takes it as an external drive and will boot from that, but not sure if its as simple as that though :?

stepppy, Feb 2, 2009
  13. fortunz

donec

It is that simple but when you do that your AAO sees the SDHC card as a USB device and it is not in the SD reader and once you put it into the SD reader the BIOS will not boot from it unless you do something special which I have heard is possible even though I don't know how.

donec, Feb 4, 2009
  14. fortunz

Winfried

I have the same interest but I want to boot xp from an SD card in the extension slot, without USB sticks sticking out. I want to use XP only for reading books with the programme pocket reader which does not exist for Linux, when Digital Rights management is involved.
    Since the SD card problem is addressed also somewhere else I have also made a post there.

Winfried

Winfried, Feb 14, 2009
  15. fortunz

bluedragon1971

There are some USB flash drives and MicroSD readers that are truely tiny. I have a reader that came with one of my microSD cards that only sticks out of the port about 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch. One of these might be your best option. This one might work: http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/?p=1514

bluedragon1971, Feb 14, 2009
Ask a Question