Can large Men's hands 'type' unobstructed on keyboard??

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ddog, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ddog

ddog

THANKS, I was wondering if I needed to get a 10" for 0.7" wider keyboard.

:mrgreen:

ddog, Sep 5, 2008
  2. ddog

rebuilder

Well, I don't recall ever meeting anyone with larger hands than mine, and I find the keyboard is just fine.

rebuilder, Sep 5, 2008
  3. ddog

ddog

Thanks!

ddog, Sep 5, 2008
  4. ddog

bryus

I wan wondering the same thing so I checked them out at Microcenter. I was able to touch type flawlessly on the AAO but couldn't type jack on the EeePC's keyboard. It was just way too small.

bryus, Sep 5, 2008
  5. ddog

Kalison

I have big ole man hands as well... but I havent had any issues typing at all.

Kalison, Sep 6, 2008
  6. ddog

ob5idian

I wear a size 13 ring, so you know my hands is bigguns. While the keyboard takes some time to get used to, the only problem I've ever had is with the backspace, and I got used to that within about 15 minutes. Really surprisingly comfortable.

ob5idian, Sep 7, 2008
  7. ddog

judeh101

My finger is surprisingly skinny for a guy, but when it comes to eee pc, too small for my comfort, but typing on this netbook, no problem what so ever.

judeh101, Sep 7, 2008
  8. ddog

dattaway

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic. I can type 75wpm on my smaller eeepc's keyboard. But this keyboard is slightly larger, so it might slow my fingers down... heh...

dattaway, Sep 7, 2008
  9. ddog

SWAT Reaper

I have big fingers and hands that struggle with cellphone buttons, but I have no problem with this size of keyboard at all. Afterall its not so much smaller than a normal laptop keyboard anyway. If you use a full size PC keyboard and your downsizing to the "One", it may take a bit of getting used to though.

SWAT Reaper, Sep 7, 2008
  10. ddog

Ubik

I did the same thing as bryus - I was curious about the practicalities of typing on each one, and while I couldn't stop fumbling around on all the EeePC models MicroCenter had, I was able to touch-type just fine on the AAO. It's part of what sold me on the thing in the first place. :)

Ubik, Sep 8, 2008
  11. ddog

blackjack

I think I shared these in another thread, might be instructive. I'm 6'4" with fairly long (but somewhat spindly) fingers, fwiw. While my AA1 keyboard is not touch typing paradise, I can get by pretty good. My first major test will be at the end of October when I attend a conference in Houston, Texas. I'm hoping to bring my AA1 and type up some notes in the evenings when I'm there (instead of watching bad cable TV all night), and then we'll really see how it is. :cool:

[​IMG]
    My only real complaint (and maybe I'd have it on any touchpad laptop period) is I constantly swipe the touchpad by accident while reaching for the spacebar. Which inevitably sends my cursor flying, or some random menu opening. I kind of wish they'd had a "thumbstick" or maybe a trackball option. Most of the time, I use my cordless Logitech mouse and disable the touchpad.

And my infamous Typing Video :p
    [​IMG]
    Reminder that it's bouncing all over cause it's in my lap, I had to prop my digital camera on a couch-arm :lol: .

When I was trying various Netbook types at a Micro Center, I did try the Asus 10" model. It still uses a "half-size" right Shift key which is a touch typist no-no. Although I'm sure I could get used to anything, I'm generally turned off by half-size right Shift keys, tiny-size Backspace keys, and awkward attempts to move cursor keys to the upper right of the keyboard or do "creative" things with the Function keys (see something like Dell's new netbook entry for that).

I adored the keyboard on the HP Mini-Note, but to me they seemed over-priced, I didn't really want Vista on a netbook, and at least at the store the Mini-Note seemed to have major, almost skin-burning heat issues esp. on the case underside. So after trying everything they had on display on two separate trips, I felt like the AA1 was the best overall pick for my needs (including price, size, touch-typing friendliness and OS choices).

blackjack, Sep 8, 2008
  12. ddog

IBMPC8088

I'm digging up this 8 year old thread just to mention that when I first got my Asus 900HA BLK EEE PC in 2008 it was a moment of adjustment with the keyboard. At first I wasn't sure if I would be happy with the smaller keyboard, but in time I actually found it more comfortable despite having larger hands, and was able to type faster and more pleasantly on it than other keyboards. When I switched back to the other keyboard sizes that are more standard again, I found them to be weird and spaced out too much and actually prefered the use of my Asus EEE PC keyboard instead. Eventually I got used to these larger keyboards once again, and it feels small to type on the netbook, but if I spend too long using just one, it feels strange when I switch.

IBMPC8088, May 6, 2016
Ask a Question