Can it be revived...? (Compaq Presario C500)

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by PoisonPi, Aug 15, 2015.

1. PoisonPi

PoisonPi

I have a Compaq Presario C500 (but, of course, it's not my main laptop anymore) and it no longer boots, and here's some more information about that:

Over the past 2 years, I've had some problems with it. At first, every once in a while, it beeped twice and gave me an error message on boot (between post and OS boot) that said something along the lines of: ERROR 0701: USB OVER CURRENT ON HC/PORT twice, with the same text below the error message on both lines that said the error. It would still boot, but the laptop disabled 2 of the USB ports (which were right next to each other). Then, it became EVERY time I booted it up. This problem persisted the entire time the laptop was working.

For a while, I didn't have the charger for the laptop because my old one broke. When I ordered a new charger for it, it worked alright for about a week. Then, I started having a problem where, every 15-30 minutes, the laptop would just power off without no warning whatsoever. That problem went away after a while.

A few weeks after that happened, (completely unrelated to the power problem) the working hinge (one of them had already broken in the past) broke. The problem started happening again. If I moved the laptop a certain way, everything on the screen got a pink tint to it, and a few minutes later the laptop would randomly shut off. Again, after a week or so, that problem went away. Then, one day, I decided to install a new OS. The OS had finished the install through the CD, but when I had it restart so it could boot into the OS... it never booted, or even posted BIOS, ever again.

When I plug it in, the charging LED still lights up, but when I try to power it on, the fan starts up and the hard drive LED flashes once, and then the laptop becomes completely silent and the power LED on the front edge and on the power button continuously flash, and it doesn't post BIOS. I have no idea what kind of error it would be, since the charging LED comes on and the hard drive LED flash
    I used to have a similar problem when the battery drained itself completely, and I just had to leave it plugged in for a while to get it to turn back on. Now, no matter what, it doesn't boot. It doesn't boot without the battery, it doesn't boot when it's not plugged in. Nothing.

Does anybody know what the problem is or if it is able to be fixed?

PoisonPi, Aug 15, 2015
  2. PoisonPi

something back

It looks like you may have to partly disassemble it, it does sound like a faulty cable,
    or one that requires reseating.

Here's a online video

something back, Aug 17, 2015
Ask a Question