Can I just install retail DVD of SL onto AOA 150? YES!!!

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by my2cents, Oct 16, 2009.

1. my2cents

my2cents

I have been searching and reading the forums for a week now, and I am unsure about one thing - this could be the root of my issue...

I have an AOA 150 ( 1.5 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, BIOS 3309 ) running only stock XP SP3. I have a retail SL DVD ( bought at local store - unmodified ) and an external DVD drive connected via USB.

I am attempting to use the method on http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi3.shtml because this is the easiest method for my. Yes, I am a N00b... According to this all I must do is boot from his ISO ( which works for me ), but just after inserting the retail DVD, I get a kernel panic ( unsupported CPU and that the OS version has not been defined ) and must reboot. I am unable to get to the installer :(

I don't have access to a real Mac, to do the "restore" method to another USB disc. :|

Is it a MUST that I already have 10.5 on my AOA 150, in order to avoid the kp at SL DVD installer start up?

I read one thread on this site that said I needed "disabler" kernel installed in extentions, but I can't figure out if that means I already need 10.5 on my AOA 150, or on the netbootinstaller cd ( url referenced above ) that I create? Any help is appreciated. :|

my2cents, Oct 16, 2009
  2. my2cents

my2cents

Re: Can I just install retail DVD of SL onto AOA 150?

Why does this work for a D250 ( viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18108 ) but not my AOA 150? They use the same Atom 270 processor and chip set? What am I missing? :?

my2cents, Oct 20, 2009
  3. my2cents

my2cents

It worked today! :D I checked the link in my initial post, and discovered that the there is now an updated ISO ( http://osx.mechdrew.com/downloads/NCD_1.1_snow.iso ) for SL install...

The Apple installer said 19 minutes to install, but it took 40. I did just the basic install, unchecking all else.

Now, I just need to fix the usual - no sound, no wifi ( I know. replace the card with DW1390 ), and to recognize my Atom processor... ;)

my2cents, Oct 22, 2009
  4. my2cents

my2cents

I've been researching fixes since my last post... :|

Resolved the "unrecognized CPU" issue via the "about this Mac" fix included on the CD ISO from my last post.
    Resolved the sound issue via voodooHDA.kext

Ordered a DW 1490 card to resolve having no wifi - it should arrive by the end of the week.

Ethernet won't work. I installed RealtechR1000.kext, but no good. ( something about a manually assigned IP, that won't allow it to connect to the internet ) :?:
    The card reader doesn't work. I installed IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext, but no good. :?:
    I really want to use an external monitor, but have not found a resolution for that yet. I hope there is one. :?

I'll keep researching... I'd like to ditch XP for good ;)

I'm still posting to this thread to hopefully make it extremely easy for others with the AOA-150 to install OS 10.6 without all the pirated software, hacking, and UNIX commands. I hope this helps others.

my2cents, Oct 26, 2009
  5. my2cents

my2cents

I just received, and installed, my DW 1490 card. Airport just picked it up and I was able to connect to the internet :D I'm posting from my "Mac" right now. :mrgreen:

I also just updated to 10.6.1 - staying away from 10.6.2 for now due to warnings I saw on other forums about issues with the ATOM CPU... :eek: Not that it was ever officially supported anyway.

I have no other updates other than these two.

Every time I restart my AOA 150, it looses my sound setting. I'm looking for a fix for that.

Unfortunately, I still have not been able to use my external monitor, or get the card reader to work. Maybe its the formatting of my card? I have it formatted for my cell phone, which works without issue under XP. :?:

my2cents, Oct 30, 2009
  6. my2cents

tarod Guest

Hi !

@my2cents,
    I can confirm the same problems like you with my 150,

a question, do you have installed any kext for the dw wireless card ?
    or just installed the hardware & that´s it ?
    I ordered a dw1390 card yesterday . . .

thx

regarding sound:
    may be this weekend I´ll check another voodoohda, I´ve found,
    but: everytime you change a kext, the best way is to do a complete new install ! . . . . & that´s took time :-(

in another forum I found something like this:
    after installing any kext or making a change, you have to run the netbookinstaller again,
    & when installing the netbookinstaller don´t check the "sleep" mode !
    because my sound preferences not only going away after rebooting, also after the 150 went to "sleep" . . . . grrrrr

but this weekend I´ve no time to check this !

for more of my experiences see my post from yesterday in the topic:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17768

tarod, Oct 31, 2009
  7. my2cents

my2cents

Tarod,

Yes. All I did was just replace the original wifi card with the DW card. I did not install any software / drivers. I booted up and BAM! It just worked :D ( Like a "Mac" should ) :p

I hope it works the same for you. ;)

my2cents, Nov 2, 2009
  8. my2cents

my2cents

My ethernet is working now :p

I used this method ( viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17768&start=10 ). I don't understand it, but it worked for me. ;)

To fix the ethernet; install realtekr1000.kext; reboot, then run these command in terminal:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo find /System/Library/Extensions -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    sudo find /System/Library/Extensions -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot again. Your screen will now be 800x600. To fix this run NetbookInstaller and only check install general extensions. Reboot and enjoy!

my2cents, Nov 3, 2009
  9. my2cents

my2cents

I sufficiently resolved the external monitor issue. It was right there all along. I installed the "older mirror friendly graphics driver" from NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3... Plugged in the external monitor, and checked off "mirror displays" under display prefs.

I wish I could completely disable the netbook screen, and port the image to the external monitor like I can in XP - but, this will work for now.

I think the only other issue left for me to resolve is the built in card reader - then goodbye XP ;)

my2cents, Nov 4, 2009
  10. my2cents

my2cents

OK, both card readers are working. :D The trick is, you must insert the card into the slot before booting up. I came across this today, on another forum ( forgot where ). It had nothing to do with the formatting of the card ( my VZW phone ).

I Installed these two kexts, as I read that these need to be installed together some where. :?:
    IOPCIFamily.kext
    IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext

So now, that should have sorted out all of my issues ( I don't use sleep or hibernate ). Let's see what happens for the next few days, running only 10.6.1 on my AOA 150 :D

my2cents, Nov 5, 2009
  11. my2cents

my2cents

I'm just providing an update...

I ended up doing a fresh install a few days ago. I installed only a few kexts to get things working:
    voodooHDA ( from the revised package - just install the voodoohda.kext, no others -http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18419 )
    realtekR1000 ( it just worked this time, I did not need to run the script from my
    earlier post )

Sound remembers my setting now. Wireless is great. The battery monitor is working fine. I am enjoying my "Mac" now. I soon will cut the cord on XP. :D

BTW, the netbookinstall has been updated on mechdrew's site. Now the SL DVD install does not fail, and after the reboot, the netbook files are automatically installed! It's even easier now. All I did afterwards was install "about this Mac" fix, and 4 kexts, and I'm done. Nice and simple.

my2cents, Nov 10, 2009
  12. my2cents

idcolvin

Hi my2cents,

So what doesn't work now? Sleep.
    Wifi, one must replace the card.
    Anything else? webcamera?

Do you use your hackintosh with that small screen, or do you mostly just plug it into a larger monitor?
    Thanks.
    idc

idcolvin, Nov 21, 2009
  13. my2cents

mitzi911

how about microphone? I'm running Leopard 10.5.6 now and the microphone doesn't work.
    I'm getting a retail snow DVD soon.

mitzi911, Nov 23, 2009
  14. my2cents

my2cents

To answer both of you...

I don't use the sleep function, so I have not tried it. I don't believe as of yet that there is a fix for it, but who knows there might be soon.

I have not been able to get the internal mic to work.I am currently researching this, as I would like to begin using Skype.

WiFI card - just replace it. they are cheap enough on eBay.

Webcam - works, as when you first set up SL, it asks if you would like to use your own pic, and there is my smiling face :D

External monitor - Yes, I have been using one. It isn't perfect, but works OK. You can decide if you want to use the external as a mirror, or 2nd screen, for larger windows. Just ensure that you install the 950 kexts within netbookinstaller, as I have mentioned in my earlier posts.

BTW, I am successfully running 10.6.2 - thanks to mechdrew.com!!! :D

Hope this helps. ;)

my2cents, Nov 23, 2009
  15. my2cents

my2cents

In researching the internal mic issue, I found a reference to HDAEnabler.kext . But, I am having difficulty downloading it to try it out.

This is from a thread on Insanely Mac http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=129774

Does anyone have any input on this?

Any thoughts / suggestions on swapping out the mic like we need to do for the wifi card?

my2cents, Nov 24, 2009
Ask a Question