Can I Buy Any Exteral CD/DVD Burner?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by krypto89, Oct 4, 2008.

1. krypto89

krypto89

just wondering if any external drive will work with the AAO? i found one that has all my requirements (dual layer, lightscribe, good reviews):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... merreviews

the only thing is that the system requirements ask for a pentium III 1.0 ghz. if it doesn't i can still use it on my primary PC. just hoping that i could use it for both PCs.

thanks in advance for any responses...

krypto89, Oct 4, 2008
  2. krypto89

melhiore

System requirements not always are truth. Actually any external CD/DVD will work with AA1. Look at this: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4165

melhiore, Oct 4, 2008
  3. krypto89

Lodovik

Take a look at this link:
    http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10986

This is what I've bought and it's working perfectly with my AA1. No need to use the 2nd power cable, just connect the USB cable and you're done. It's very small, DL and LightScribe are supported and the price is good. On top of that, a two years warranty...

Lodovik, Oct 4, 2008
  4. krypto89

scourdx

I bought myself external DVD writer and it works great with AAO. I think you should consider buying more compact burner unless you use the external DVD burner on multiple computer. Lacie driver is great compact DVD burner. There are others like

Sony
    Samsung
    LG
    Targus
    Lenovo
    Toshiba
    Plextor

I got myself Panasonic VW-BN1 and it is useful for Camcorder and use it as PC DVD rom drive.

scourdx, Oct 4, 2008
  5. krypto89

krypto89

thanks for the replies. was planning on buying the LG from geeks.com and i saw the lacie drive on there. i would love the usb powered slim ones but the LG is significantly cheaper. will consider both. it depends on how often i will be burning dual layer discs...

krypto89, Oct 4, 2008
  6. krypto89

clu1234

I used the Lacie portable DVD with no problem. The USB-powered feature plus slim profile is perfect for this machine.

clu1234, Oct 7, 2008
  7. krypto89

Tamrac

Agree with the other replies... ANY usb external DVD burner can be used on our AAO. I use a Lenovo brand myself, the ones used on thinkpads. It's very small compact, and rugged. And no external power supply needed. :cool:

Tamrac, Oct 7, 2008
Ask a Question