Can I, and if so, How do I, Upgrade my Realtek PCIe Network Adapter?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AspireAOA150, Jul 28, 2012.

1. AspireAOA150

AspireAOA150

Good Day! I hope You're enjoying a pleasant one.

Can I upgrade or replace my Realtek PCIe Network Adapter? If so, How do I go about doing that?

Thanks

John B.

AspireAOA150, Jul 28, 2012
  2. AspireAOA150

Jaroc

Why do you want to replace your Realtek Adapter, and to replace with what ?

Jaroc, Jul 30, 2012
  3. AspireAOA150

IPexpress

Are you having problems with your Realtek PCIe Adapter, or are you looking for better performance or features?

IPexpress, Aug 1, 2012
  4. AspireAOA150

AspireAOA150

1) I suspect the component is bad.
    2) If it is bad, I'd like to replace it with one that works.

Is it replaceable or is it integrated with the motherboard?

thanx!

john b.

AspireAOA150, Aug 2, 2012
  5. AspireAOA150

AspireAOA150

Yes. It does not show up in device manager. I have had issues with this netbook for a long while. It's hard to explain. A long while back, I recall having issues with the network connection (a network cable unplugged error, etc...), but then not again, and the system was on all the time as it was my main desktop system.

Once, after a power outage, and after the batteries wore out... I was unable to restart the system. It would turn on, go to a black screen, and then a white screen. I found that by turning it on and off a bazillion times, it would eventually, show the bios screen and start and run normally.... but if the power was shut off for any reason, I would have to do the power on/off thing til it lit up again.

Recently, I replaced the WiFi adapter with a faster Intel 4965AGN. I use the netbook in my house, mainly for my wife, to wirelessly connect to my other netbook desktop setup. I just noticed the other day that the ethernet connection was inop and that the netbook was operating only with the wireless connection. I checked device manager and saw that the Realtek ethernet adapter was no longer listed. I thought, "could it be that the Intel WiFi card be displacing the Realtek ethernet adapter?"

I don't think so... so I'm thinking that my problems all along with the power on/off black screen/white screen issue may have been related to a flaky Realtek adapter... and that the Realtek adapter finally went bye-bye... i didn't notice right away because the system was operating wireless...

...so now... 2 things... the Realtek Ethernet adapter/function is no longer present.... the Intel WiFi card works fine... BUT... if you turn the system off/power down... and then power up... the power button goes green, the screen remains black, but Does NOT go to a white screen... and if I power on/off, over an over, eventually it lights up and boots.

I know about the Acer Black Screen of Death Bios Bug, and that's not the problem or what I'm describing, and along with that the BIOS has been updated to the latest, just to cover that base. Updating the BIOS didn't change anything.

So... I'm wondering now, before I take it apart again, if someone could quick tell me if the Realtek adapter function is replaceable/repairable or should I be hunting ebay for a replacement motherboard or something...

Your Assistance is Greatly Appreciated... Thanx!

John B.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    AspireAOA150, Aug 2, 2012
  6. AspireAOA150

Jaroc

The Ethernet circuit is the RTL8102EL and is not a FRU. It is part of the motherboard.

Jaroc, Aug 2, 2012
  7. AspireAOA150

AspireAOA150

...bummer... at least i'm connecting wireless... eventually, i'll see what kind of solutions i can find on ebay... thanks, for your response... john b.

AspireAOA150, Aug 3, 2012
Ask a Question