Can a jump drive be used to make faster

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Bluey2King, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bluey2King

Bluey2King

Hello:

Can a jump or thumb drive be used to make this puter faster?
    Thanks

Bluey2King, Nov 30, 2009
  2. Bluey2King

JimK

In most configurations, no, a thumb drive can't add speed. The exception might be using it for swap space if your computer came with a slow solid state disk rather than hard drive, but even then I don't know how much if any speed you would gain. These machines use the Atom processor, which simply isn't built for speed.

The best things you can do to make your computer go faster are (1) add RAM; (2) turn off eye candy (3D effects, menu animation etc.); and (3) limit the number of apps and processes you run. Particularly look for stuff that loads on startup that you don't need.

JimK, Nov 30, 2009
  3. Bluey2King

mackey

for vista as well as 7 there is an option to speed up your system using a thumbdrive. it will use up to 4GB of space.

i tried it on my hp notebook (dv9700t) and it did have a marked improvement particularly when using vista. yes all the B&W were turned off and RAM already maxed.

it has less of an improvement when i went to 7.

mackey, Dec 22, 2009
  4. Bluey2King

Plastikman

This feature is called "ReadyBoost".

I use this feature with a 32gig SDHC card. It creates a 4gig tempfile on the drive. I always have the card in the laptop so why not?

I honestly don't notice an improvement in Windows7. Maybe it is there..?. Maybe if you had a vanillia Aspire you might see more of a boost then I do. My aspire is completely upgraded.

I would not bother doing this with a thumb drive. The hastle of it being plugged in all the time ect.

Plastikman, Dec 22, 2009
  5. Bluey2King

MOFO64

READYBOOST feature uses a simple algorithm. To increase performance with a usb drive the usb drive must have a higher sustained write speed than that of the HDD or SSD your OS is installed to.

MOFO64, Dec 30, 2009
Ask a Question