C: (hard drive) shows only 7.4GB! Why?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by duongxuannghi, Jun 15, 2010.

1. duongxuannghi

duongxuannghi

Hi, my acer aspire one which was bought last year is supposed to have 120GB or 160GB of hard drive, I don't remember the correct number. But the fact is that the C:\ drive size is only 7.40 GB. Where is hundreds of GB?

I didn't pay attention to this until recently when my C:\ is full. Just FYI, there is no D:\ drive.

duongxuannghi, Jun 15, 2010
  2. duongxuannghi

melhiore

You sure it is HDD version and not SSD?? Has system been recently restored from recovery partition??

melhiore, Jun 16, 2010
  3. duongxuannghi

duongxuannghi

OMG you know what, The netbook come together with a Transcend memory stick 8GB, is this the SSD you are talking about ?

duongxuannghi, Jun 18, 2010
  4. duongxuannghi

duongxuannghi

Ok , what I have here are:

C:\ 7.40GB
    D:\ 7.45GB (from the Transcend memory stick)

I have not reformatted my netbook since purchased.

Any explaination?

5. duongxuannghi

JimK

Two possibilities:

1. You got the SSD netbook by mistake (perhaps Acer put one in the wrong box); or

2. You got the 120 or 160 GB hard drive but it was imaged at the factory as an SSD model.

You can use your disk utility to check if there's 100+ GB of free space on the hard drive and if so you can resize the C drive to fill it out.

JimK, Jun 18, 2010
  6. duongxuannghi

duongxuannghi

However, if my netbook is really an SSD version, then it is correct with 8GB SSD right?? (actually it's only 7.45)

7. duongxuannghi

JimK

afraid so

JimK, Jun 18, 2010
  8. duongxuannghi

Swarvey Moderator

An 8Gb SSD, after formatting, will only show approximately 7.45Gb.
    If you're running XP, try and right click on My Computer, goto Manage, and select Disk Management from the pane on the left. This will show you the size of the entire drive, and any partitions created. If you actually do have a 160Gb version, then you will find that it has been imaged with the wrong image and the partitions aren't setup correctly.

However you said it came with a Transcend memory stick, so I'm guessing you've actually bought the SSD model with the smaller drive. Or like was mentioned before, the wrong model in the wrong box.

If it was me, I'd be going back to the retailer and telling them that you asked for the 160Gb model and they should swap machines for you.

Swarvey, Jun 21, 2010
Ask a Question