C&C Red Alert on Linpus?!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mxxx, Feb 6, 2009.

1. mxxx

mxxx

Hi Guys,
    Been playing with my GF's acer one that I bought for Christmas. Its the basic 8gb ssd version with Linpus and im seriously impressed with it, brilliant peice of kit for the money. Now, been tinkering with it and trying to add some games for fun but I cannot seem to get to grips with how to work Linux. Im an IT technician by trade so should be pretty tech savvy but i'm totally new to Linux and im getting nowhere. I've managed to install a couple of games like open arena (wow!) but that was only through the 'add software' app. I've been trying to play Red Alert on it and have found two seperate apps, Open Red Alert and FreeRA, both for Linux, both seeming based around the same engine but i'm damned if I can do anything useful with either of them. I've downloaded files but really cant understand how im supposed to get them to work, managed to extract the archive to a folder but couldnt find what file I was supposed to run to actually start the game. The readme didnt help much either, lots of talk of 'makefiles' and 'make' but I cant really work out what it all means.
    Anyone able to post a step by step guide to getting either of these running on the Acer one?! (and yes, i've got the .mix files from the full game)
    Cheers
    Matt :)

mxxx, Feb 6, 2009
  2. mxxx

mxxx

Hey guys,
    Just seen this has had 30 views and no replies yet, man! Guess no one knows anything about either of these. Well, if its any help, heres some links
    Open Red Alert:
    http://www.ohloh.net/p/openredalert
    FreeRA:
    http://freera.sourceforge.net/

Maybe someone with some tech savvy knowledge with the aspire could give one (or both) of these a crack and let us know how you get on? Please.....
    Cheers
    Matt

mxxx, Feb 8, 2009
  3. mxxx

bruce

hi Matt,
    i had a quick look at installing openRA for you (great plan on your part :D good game )
    it was really basic for me, but i've already added quite a few tools my AAO so that may have something to do with the simplicity.
    all i did was went to the link you provided, downloaded the demo
    ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/redalert/previews/demo/ra95demo.zip
    then unzipped it
    unzip ra95demo.zip

then i downloaded openra (note not the src tarball, the linux binary - hence no need to run make etc.)
    http://www.ohloh.net/p/openredalert/download?filename=openredalert-r462-linux.tar.gz

untared it (tar xvpf openredalert*
    cded into openredalert folder (cd openredalert*)
    made a new directory for the data files (mkdir data/mix)
    copied the data files from the demo to the new mix dir (cp ../ra95demo/INSTALL/MAIN.MIX data/mix && cp ../ra95demo/INSTALL/REDALERT.MIX data/mix )

and then just ran the executable (./openredalert)
    all worked straight out of the box as it were...
    if the executable complains that permission is denied then run "chmod +x openredalert) to add the execute permission to the file....

this all worked fine for me, but if you have any more issues just post away, but maybe try and add some more info? eg logs, errors etc.

btw this was all done via the terminal, but you can probably do it all via the guis if you want, but if you do need the terminal get to it by pressing atl-f2 and then typing terminal.

hope this helps :)

bruce, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question