Byebye Livna, hello Fusion !

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Grim Squeaker, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Already mentioned in several topics, but to make sure people read it:

The contents of the Livna repository (many extra programs to install through add/remove software/pirut/yum- including e.g. vlc, the fully functional mplayer and amarok) have been moved to RPM Fusion.

Unfortunately Linpus is not a real Fedora system, and as such seems to be unable to handle this. Meaning that people who try to follow instructions which include sentences like "add the livna repository by typing sudo rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm" will discover that things still do not work.

Fortunately, the solution is quite easy. Instead of installing Livna, install RPM Fusion directly:

Code:
    sudo rpm -ivh [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm[/url]
    Code:
    sudo rpm -ivh [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm[/url]
    Or, if you hate the terminal, you can install from firefox by following the instructions on http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

Note: of course everybody has already issued
    Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release
    Right ? I mean - we do not mention this in thousands of topics for naught ;)

Grim Squeaker, Nov 11, 2008
  2. Grim Squeaker

Tybor

Hi Grim Squeaker,

Thanks for this notice!
    There is another way to get to the RPMFusion packages if you already have installed the Livna packages (mentioned at http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/):
    Code:
    sudo yum install rpmfusion-free-release rpmfusion-nonfree-release
    greetz,
    Tybor

Tybor, Nov 11, 2008
  3. Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Excellent tip Tybor :)
    And no, this is not a bump. Really.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 13, 2008
  4. Grim Squeaker

Me2sleepy

NVM, thank you, I've installed it, now I just need to learn how to put it in the desktop. Don't worry, I'm not asking, I just need to find out the name to put into the code. But thank you guys

Me2sleepy, Feb 21, 2009
  5. Grim Squeaker

Aspiration

Aspiration, Apr 11, 2009
  6. Grim Squeaker

Gaer Boy

Aspiration

I'm as much of a newbie to linux as you appear to be. I'm very grateful to the more experienced members of this forum for their advice, and I'm prepared to work a little to understand what they are saying. I suggest you might do the same.

It's not helpful to complain if the instructions are not immediately clear to you. This is not Windows, where you've paid a lot of money and can expect a service - it's a cooperative effort.

It's also not helpful to make comments by inserting odd phrases in a quote - it makes it difficult for others to read.

Here's my view of your comments (as a non-expert):

'unable to handle this' clearly refers to the move from Livna to RPM Fusion.

'everybody has already issued' - the command in the box below. No incomplete sentence there, just the command thoughtfully presented for you to copy directly.

If you really want assistance, I suggest you ask reasonably for clarification of those points you don't immediately understand. Shouting at the experts is unlikely to make you popular, and if all newbies did it, the experts might abandon us. Then where would we be?

Regards

Gaer Boy, Apr 12, 2009
  7. Grim Squeaker

sebgiambrone

Hi guys...
    (Also a new-be to this whole thing so apologies in advance)

Whenever I try to install Fusion I get this response whatever way I try:

Missing Dependency: system-release >= 10 is needed by package rpmfusion-free-release

The same kind of thing comes up in the Terminal when I try it that way.

Does anyone know what I should do to change this?
    Thanks. :?

sebgiambrone, Sep 7, 2009
  8. Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Sadly - not much. Linpus Linux is, as said, based on the ancient fedora core 8. Fedora 8 no longer gets updates, you'll need at least fedora 10 for that.
    So.. we will need to find a repo that still contains core 8 files... or force install other packages and hope they work.

Or we could all smack Linpus for not actually producing the new version they have been advertising on their website for months now... (the download however still leads to old versions :()

Grim Squeaker, Sep 11, 2009
Ask a Question