buying ram

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bluesfloyd, Dec 21, 2015.

1. bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd

hi guys,
    i want to buy some ram for my laptop, is there a ram make you guys always use??? or where/who do you guys mainly buy from???

thanks for your time, bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd, Dec 21, 2015
  2. bluesfloyd

something back

Your max ram for your laptop is 4gb

something back, Dec 21, 2015
  3. bluesfloyd

ProNine

Honestly, I have never bought RAM sticks before, but I believe buying good quality DDR3 sticks from Amazon would be good enough for me. You can always try looking at local shops as well though. If you have any more questions, just ask. :)

ProNine, Dec 25, 2015
  4. bluesfloyd

baldyhead

Really depends on what type of laptop your using and what it'll support. Be wary of DDR3 from eBay, there is a lot of junk on there that gets passed around. Look for sellers with good ratings and you should do fine though. I don't personally buy new memory as I can get it at half the cost on eBay, but you do have to be extra careful when you get it.

baldyhead, Dec 28, 2015
  5. bluesfloyd

sharatharadhya

Swapping a RAM should be very easy for most Laptops but if you find it difficult it is advisable to get it done at the local store. One thing to watch out for is that all DDR3 RAm's are not the same. Each Laptop has a RAM voltage value. So I would recommend that you research what voltage RAM your Laptop supports. Laptop RAM's are not Universal. Also, don't forget the RAM speed and RAM Cache Latency as they are also important. If you get a RAM with higher speeds, you would get better performance, provided your Laptop can support it.

sharatharadhya, Jan 20, 2016
  6. bluesfloyd

djtech

Kingston fury or Corsair - but before you spend a penny, please google "RAM compatible with {Your laptop model no. here}" because you don't want to waste money on something that your laptop won't support.

djtech, Jan 21, 2016
  7. bluesfloyd

bluemoney

DDR3 rams are the best ! . Because are new model

bluemoney, Jan 21, 2016
  8. bluesfloyd

nytegeek

Um no... It isn't even the current standard. Even if it was, you just don't go stuffing it into whatever machine you want.

nytegeek, Jan 22, 2016
  9. bluesfloyd

Lun

What's your laptop brand and model? DDR4 isn't completely mainstream yet so I'm guessing it uses DDR3. I personally don't really care about RAM brands, they almost never matter unless they're some sketchy chinese company that I've never heard anything about. I usually go for the cheapest I can get from a brand I recognize.

Lun, Jan 23, 2016
  10. bluesfloyd

djtech

Yeah, it would be helpful if you could give the specs of your system?

djtech, Jan 27, 2016
  11. bluesfloyd

IBMPC8088

PNY and Crucial are good. If you're not sure what kind of RAM your system needs, you can always go to crucial.com and (if you are on Windows) use their system scanner to determine the type.

If you don't want to do that, you can use another tool called CPU-Z (freeware) which will tell you exactly what kind of ram you're using, how many slots you have available (without having to physically check it) and which slots ram is currently in. Linux has its own tools for this too if you need them. Those are the easiest ways to find out exactly what kind of RAM you need and whether you have extra slots available.

Once you know exactly what kind you need, you can buy the brand you feel is best that offers the same ram type that your system requires.

IBMPC8088, Feb 4, 2016
    djtech likes this.
Ask a Question