Buying first Netbook/notebook more questions, help

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by JBL121, Jul 21, 2010.

1. JBL121

JBL121

Im pulling the trigger tomorrow and buying an Acer 532H-2258. Target have them for 199.00.

Couple of questions:

Can I save the Windows 7 starter off the hidden partition to a flash drive or a DVD ( I know I need to buy an external drive)?

I want to reformat the drive and install Win XP pro and would like to have the opportunity to go back to the Win 7 in the future.

What do people think if this is a deal? Brand new i the box.

Thanks

Joe

JBL121, Jul 21, 2010
  2. JBL121

bluevolume

Re: Buying first Netbook/notebook

You need an external DVD writer to make the recovery disks. You can either get a nice external drive, or get a USB to IDE/SATA adapter and use a regular internal one. Thats really the cheapest option of you don't think you'd have use for a external.

For the price? Yes, you're stealing it. Buy it right now, don't even think twice.

For a word of advice, don't put XP on it. XP is stable and easy, but please, its 10 years old and doesn't show off what this machine can really do. Since you got such a good price on the netbook, just pay the upgrade fee to go to Win 7 Home Premium. Believe me, its the way to go.

bluevolume, Jul 21, 2010
  3. JBL121

JBL121

Going today to buy but I don't think Target will have the option to upgrade the OS.

Is this something I can do after purchase through Acer?

Thanks for the information.

Joe

JBL121, Jul 21, 2010
  4. JBL121

bluevolume

Windows 7 has an 'anytime upgrade' functionality built into it. You can upgrade to a better version of Windows right through the internet (after paying for the license). Aside from having to pay for it, its actually a pretty cool feature.

bluevolume, Jul 21, 2010
  5. JBL121

JBL121

I got it home and things are fine. I am running it with the AC cord plugged in.

Is there a sequence or procedure on charging the battery for the first time?

Thanks again, Built probably 15 desktop boxes but this is my first notebook/netbook.

JOe

JBL121, Jul 22, 2010
  6. JBL121

JBL121

Also, Where can I access the quick guides in pdf format on my computer.

Sorry for the stupid questions

Joe

JBL121, Jul 22, 2010
  7. JBL121

JBL121

ANother question.

Is it true when at home and AC is available, you should run the computer without the battery on the AC cord so the battery doesn't overheat.

Sorry, my first laptop.

Joe

JBL121, Jul 22, 2010
  8. JBL121

DEarlS

I've read on the net that if the laptop is not going to be used for more than eight hours to unplug the external power supply. I haven't seen anything about the battery being installed or uninstalled while on external power. I've also read that the battery should be completely discharged and recharged occasionally without turning it on. Most likely, though, it's possible to find numerous views pro and con.

DEarlS, Jul 22, 2010
  9. JBL121

bluevolume

You don't need to worry about any of those things. Laptops are designed to handle normal usage; you don't need to take the battery out.

If you want your battery to last longer (before it has to be replaced), keep the machine plugged in whenever you have power available. Its discharging/recharging the battery that eventually will wear it out. Even so, don't put too much worry into that, your battery will last a couple years regardless and you can get a new one on ebay for $40. Its really a non-issue.

bluevolume, Jul 24, 2010
Ask a Question