Buying Cheap Laptops

Discussion in 'Windows' started by danielle davidson, Jul 12, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidson

Right now it looks like my laptop isn't in the best condition. It's about four years old and it just started to act up. I hate to see the laptop go because it's been my favorite one that I've had so far. The past week though when my cord to charge my laptop would move, the whole system would shut down. Then today I tried to get onto my laptop and start it up, I was only seeing a black screen. I don't know what's wrong with it so I'm hoping that the people I bring it to will be able to fix it. My biggest concern is that they will try to get me to spend more money to fix it and I don't want to do that. Right now though I don't have a ton of money to buy the laptop that I want, but it's important that I do have a laptop because I'll be heading back to college soon. So, would it be worth it to buy a cheap $200 laptop that will be able to get me through while I save? I thought about doing this before, but my mom told me not to waste my money on a laptop that isn't going to work right. But what do you guys think I should do?

danielle davidson, Jul 12, 2015
  2. danielle davidson

Lun

Usually laptops this cheap are a really, really bad option. I have my experience to speak for that. For the past month I've been buying and returning a lot of laptops on the range $250 - $300. Every single one of them had an issue somewhere. If you want something only for until you save up enough for a new laptop though, maybe that would work for you.

My advice would be to look for something used. Sometimes you can find good laptops that are 50% less in price even though they're not very outdated. I wanted to order an HP elitebook for $230 a few days ago but I missed it by just a few hours as someone else had ordered it before me. It's used and it has great,great specs for the price. It's a little old but for the next 5-10 years it would still work perfectly for normal use. It was considered a premium back when it was first released after all. Also try not to be tempted by Netbooks that offer prices as low as $200 for 1-2 GB of RAM and an Intel celeron or AMD E1 series CPU, these are too weak to give you any practical performance so be wary of them.

Hope I helped.

Lun, Jul 14, 2015
  3. danielle davidson

danielle davidson

@Lun Yeah, that might be a good idea. The only reason that I asked was because I noticed these laptops that were cheap had good ratings. Which is why I thought well if these laptops are good, then that must mean that they are okay to buy. I really want a Mac, but my parents said that they would be willing to buy me a Dell laptop. I'm not sure how good it is, but they said they are good. I'm just weary because I've always had a bad impression with Dell's. Okay, I will make sure that I look out for those. I have seen some of those offered.

danielle davidson, Jul 14, 2015
  4. danielle davidson

Sefie

My new laptop didn't cost so much, it's a Toshiba and it's working great. I'd advice you wait a little bit and save enough for a Toshiba. In my experience they are not really expensive and offer a great quality. My oldest Toshiba laptop is 6 years old! Or get a Dell, a friend of mine has a Mac, but he has a lot problems with it. If you have to choose between a Mac or a Dell, then pick the Dell.

Sefie, Jul 14, 2015
  5. danielle davidson

IcyBC

My HP laptop is only two years old but it has acting up as of late. I believe it is the heating system as I heard the fan running all the time when I am using it. I do have a cooling fan underneath it. For me, I wouldn't buy an old laptop unless it is certified by the real company or tech and come with a warranty.

Buying a cheap laptop sounds like a quick solution for many us as money is a problem. Just make sure you shop around and feel completely sure that it will last you few years.

IcyBC, Jul 15, 2015
Ask a Question