buying advice acer vs hp both refurbished

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by confupavan, Feb 21, 2014.

?

best laptop choice

1. refurbished, powerful and cheap

100.0%
  2. new mid-range and slightly expensive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. confupavan

confupavan

I desperately need some advice. I'm from India, and I'm asking a friend to bring me a laptop. Please suggest a good value for money laptop.

Some details:
    budget < $500

uses: some moderate gaming. latest and newest games, with low to moderate/medium resolution and settings
    also some application development will involve visualizations and also probably installing heavy applications like weblogic/websphere and running at least 2 or 3 virtual systems concurrently.

requirements:
    touchscreen - doesn't matter
    hdd > 500GB
    RAM >4gb
    processor- quad core or dual core hyperthreaded

I have picked the below two from bestbuy, please advice.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/refurbi...2&st=refurbished&cp=1&lp=12#tab=buyingOptions

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/geek-sq...438654&skuId=2231139&st=refurbished&cp=1&lp=4

P.S. Both are refurbished laptops.

confupavan, Feb 21, 2014
  2. confupavan

OhioTom76

Personally I would go with the Acer, since it has better specs and my experiences with HP laptops in the past has been rather poor, particularly with their less expensive systems. The last two times I bought HP laptops, I had to return them because the fans on them were running ridiculously loud. I don't think they design their budget systems very well to protect against overheating. Plus the overall build on them was pretty cheap - the case was flimsy plastic that wasn't sturdy at all. I ended up getting a Lenovo for about the same price that was of much higher quality.

OhioTom76, Feb 25, 2014
  3. confupavan

sparkblade14

Same here. Low budget HP laptops aren't really good IMO. My friend had a TouchSmart and he said it was pretty slow.

I have no past experience with Acer, so I can't really say if that specific laptop is any good. You should try looking up reviews?

sparkblade14, Feb 27, 2014
  4. confupavan

NeroFerk

Acer would be better. HP has been slipping the gun lately and I just do not like it. Acer has better specs as well.

NeroFerk, Feb 28, 2014
  5. confupavan

Sefie

Acer. I know everyone has said Acer is the way to go, but I had to jump in and tell you HP has only caused me nothing but troubles in the past! I don't recommend HP laptops, even my friend who fixes laptops says HP laptops are troublesome.

Sefie, Mar 9, 2014
  6. confupavan

JPeg

I have to agree with everyone else. I would recommend Acer rather than H.P. as well. My HP worked fine for a while and then all of a sudden, the keyboard decided to quit on me. I had to plug an external keyboard in which ruined the whole portability factor. Stick with Acer and you'll find a good laptop at a reasonable price.

JPeg, Mar 17, 2014
  7. confupavan

mikelouis

Refurbished computers are not bad at all. Simply make sure that it is in good condition then go for it. You can be lucky to buy one from the manufacturer themselves so it will be factory refurbished.

mikelouis, Mar 23, 2014
  8. confupavan

Baniclips

Did you already make your purchase? :) I have had bad experiences with both HP and Acer, but both should perform quite well initally. I would recommend getting a Squaretrade warranty if at all possible on your purchase or going through Best Buy to get an extended warranty.

Baniclips, Mar 24, 2014
  9. confupavan

kaymeis

Make sure your are refurbished and warrantied...If it's from the manufacturer, even better.

kaymeis, Mar 28, 2014
Ask a Question