Buying AA1 Used/New Warranty

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by billr, Aug 30, 2008.

1. billr

billr

Hi

Most ppl here will buy new AA1 - When I was looking I saw a few on Ebay listed as 'New with upgrades' typically a ram upgrade to 1.5g I wonder what the warranty implications are for this? Is the machine still covered at all?

I saw a few like this even listed as New+upgrades and international warranty...or proof of purchase from Dixsons/PC World.

Used AA1 - as a second user...assuming the 1st user had registered the unit with Acer, can you register the same machine again?

billr, Aug 30, 2008
  2. billr

blackjack

AFIK, once you take apart an Acer to upgrade it, the 1-year factory warranty is dead, kaput (as with other brands in this category). Even if they used credit card edges (as suggested in one post here, so as to not muss up tabs) and plastic screwdrivers, I would think a factory tech would realize 1.5GB isn't a factory model, and pretty much any other hardware upgrade that required disassembly.

If the buyer got a 3rd party warranty (say an extended replacement warranty from Best Buy or Circuit City or something), I would think that would still void it in theory, though I guess you might get a lazy store clerk who wouldn't examine the turn-in, upgraded machine and would just give out a replacement -- but the replacement wouldn't have the 1.5GB. :p

If sales keep going crazy though, I'd be curious if some small 3rd party "AA1 Hardware Upgrade" shops might turn up, perhaps offering their own warranties of some kind.

blackjack, Aug 30, 2008
Ask a Question