Buying a laptop today

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Karen Gordon, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Karen Gordon

Karen Gordon

Say something catastrophic happened to your old laptop today, and it could not be fixed.. What laptop would you buy? Why would you buy that particular model? What operating system would you choose with your new machine? What kind of quality would you hope to find?

Karen Gordon, Sep 18, 2016
  2. Karen Gordon

something back

It's all dependent on what you need it for, if it's just for office type work, internet viewing or
    similar then an un-expensive one.

Your main consideration should be will I require it to be able to run newer software in the future
    most new software is increasing in size so you will require a reasonable sized hard drive.

If you are going to do graphic design ,cad ,play internet games, then you are going to require
    a more powerful one. The key here is to buy the one with the best graphic card you can afford.

If you can spare the time then it's worth looking at the online pc/laptop mags
    they have the best up to date reviews from budget to to expensive ones.

Shop around may of the well known shops are trying to clear out the not so good ones.

AFTER your old machine has given up take the hard drive out of it you may well be able to use itr
    as a free backup device.

something back, Sep 18, 2016
    Karen Gordon likes this.
  3. Karen Gordon

Karen Gordon

That is a a very good idea. I have never considered using the harddrive as a back up, device, but I think you would have to really know what you are doing to be able to install that and have it work correctly. My son might be able to though, as he is pretty mechanical and I think he might be able to build his own computer, as it doesn't seem to be extremely difficult.

Karen Gordon, Sep 18, 2016
  4. Karen Gordon

Corzhens

It happened to my smart phone when the battery suddenly wouldn't charge. I brought it to the tech and it was fixed but then the problem occurred so I was advised to buy a new phone. And what to buy? The same brand. My old one is a Samsung phone so I bought a newer model which I am using until now. My laptop is an HP so probably when I would hastily need a replacement, it would be another HP... which is expensive though. A new laptop will cost me more time in adapting to the OS and operation so I would settle for the same brand.

Corzhens, Sep 18, 2016
  5. Karen Gordon

something back

Removing you old hard drive is a doddle one screw holds a small hatch/flap
    and the drive is easily removed

Here's two “examples” of ways to connect your old hard drive
    the first is a cable, and the second is a caddy

Buying the cheapest are no problem cable under £2 caddy under £4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...0.Xusb+to+sata.TRS0&_nkw=usb+to+sata&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...ta+2.5".TRS0&_nkw=2+5+sata+enclosure&_sacat=0

something back, Sep 19, 2016
    Karen Gordon likes this.
Ask a Question