Buyer beware : 16GB SSD models

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rjm, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rjm

rjm

So I'm as confused as anyone here, but there appears to be a bunch of models floating around with 8GB SSD, 1GB RAM and WinXP such as the A110-1137

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOA110-1137- ... B001NMT51O

that are being sold as 16BG SSD models by other online retailors such as here

http://www.provantage.com/acer-lu-s320b ... CEN0JY.htm

Same story on eBay, some being fairly clear about the 8+8 configuration, others saying 16GB SSD.

Now where I get confused is there was a legitimate 16GB SSD model released right? Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115508

The price seems a little too good to be true, so I don't know what to think anymore... reading the comments the Newegg model also also seems to be 8+8, so now I'm wondering if there was ever a 16GB "real" SSD model. Intel made the part though, so there "could" have been...

Will the real 16SSD Aspire One stand up?

rjm, Feb 6, 2009
  2. rjm

Growler

It does actually seem to be a 16GB ssd drive, from all the specs I can find on this newegg model. Price seems ridiculous, especially with free shipping...

Hmm.. Time to buy a 2nd aa1, I think....

Growler, Feb 6, 2009
  3. rjm

rjm

Read the Newegg comments though, and you get a different impression. And Acer US have stopped listing the details of each model on their website.

rjm, Feb 6, 2009
  4. rjm

joe_news

I have the 16GB model and I got it from Newegg. I love it because I know it will never fail from being banged around in my backpack all the time. HOWEVER, the SDD itself writes slow. I've had to streamlin windows [many threads on this forum talk about how to do this]. And I use Google's Browser [which opens in just seconds, its AMAZING]. Firefox takes to long to open when on battery, same with Open Offce, so I use OneNote now which I got for free from Uni.

If i could go back I'd probably not buy the 16GB model and opt for a HDD, because it 'stalls' out so often to write while doing basic functions like saving a simple text time for a second or two. This all has to do with the lower-cost SDDs Acer used, which make writing small sizes insanely inefficient and big ones seemly normal. [I can download from a good server at good speeds, but save a text file...*insert above*]...but mine can take abuse, so yeah, it really use a give/take.

joe_news, Feb 8, 2009
Ask a Question