Buy Acer Aspire One now or wait for the 3G UMTS model?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Kaos2K, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Kaos2K

Kaos2K

Hi! Im new and im really interested in buying an Acer Aspire One 8GB SSD with Linux (I like the White one :p) but i have some doubts... I read that in August there will be 3G models including an UMTS (and Wimax too) module. Is this true?. I heard that those models will be the Pink and Brown models (The ones i dont like...). I have an USB 3G modem with vodafone (Huawei) and it will be intereseting to put the SIM card directly in the laptop and dont use the Huawei USB modem.

Now some questions:

1- What should i do? Buy the Acer Aspire One now or wait to the 3G models?
    2- The actual models have a expansion slot or something to attach the 3G module when it will be on sale or that is only avaliable in the new models?
    3- The new 3G models will be at the same price as the actuals?
    4- There will be 3G models in White or that will be limited only to the Pink and Brown models?

Thanks for your help.

Kaos2K, Jul 25, 2008
  2. Kaos2K

Sid

My opinions and comments from things I have seen and heard:

1. - I bought mine already so I am biased, it is very likely someone will get the E330 running sometime soon.
    2. - There is a space for a module in the current One's, I have seen about twenty different machine in the last week or so.
    But retrofitting may not be possible, I don't remember the sim slot being open on my One, and as I am on batteries at present
    I cannot look :)
    3. - Likely to cost more.
    4. - Not likely at all, should be available on all models.

Sid, Jul 25, 2008
  3. Kaos2K

Kaos2K

Thaks for your answer. Then i'll get my Acer One as soon as possible and use the USB 3G Modem.

Kaos2K, Jul 25, 2008
  4. Kaos2K

dandesigns

i heard that 3G technology is not really that good so i didn't wait for it. if it's WiMax, maybe.

dandesigns, Jul 26, 2008
  5. Kaos2K

ronmexico

I think 3g is great I pull 3mbps sometimes on my HP laptop for portable computing don't really need more than that

ronmexico, Jul 27, 2008
  6. Kaos2K

Kaos2K

Yeah but 3G with HSDPA can run at 7,2mbps and the Acer's Aspire One 3G model will support that speed :).

Nah, im going to buy de actual model and use my 3G USB modem. Tomorrow i'll go out to find it.

Kaos2K, Jul 27, 2008
Ask a Question