Build Quality??

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Davidcowling, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Davidcowling

Davidcowling

I've read on a couple of review sites that the build quality of the AA1 isn't all that great?

What do the people that own them think?

Davidcowling, Jul 30, 2008
  2. Davidcowling

janss

From my personal experience, the build quality of the One is good.
    Would say far superior to my previous Acer laptops that were very plastic-ish and cheap feeling...

But impossible to say how it holds long time use.

janss, Jul 30, 2008
  3. Davidcowling

rory

I think it's great, first time I tok it apart, some bits were a bit squeaky, and the keyboard chassis thing with the trackpad moved about a bit, but since then, I've made sure I clip all the clips in properly, and its great.
    Rory

rory, Jul 30, 2008
  4. Davidcowling

Darren198712

I would say the build quality of the Acer one is good and I would say its better then the Asus eee pc. I say that because I was going to get a eee pc but then I seen the acer that looked better and etc. I seen my own Acer one get taken a part and it looks pretty sturdy to me.

Darren198712, Jul 30, 2008
  5. Davidcowling

Sid

The One is certainly solid enough, mine has been through about ten internal flights in the UK as carry on, lI ove the way that I can use it on a flybe flight, even though the full size was impossible to use.
    I have typed on machine that have had far worse build quality.

BTW mine travels in the Acer supplied slip case, not a big protective bag.

Sid, Jul 30, 2008
  6. Davidcowling

Davidcowling

im gonna store mine in the slip case, and then another big protective bag...

paranoid i know...

Davidcowling, Jul 31, 2008
  7. Davidcowling

Gildas

keyboard mounting is a bit "spongy" but other than that I'd say well bolted together for a £220 quid device. At least being SSD I can drop it and not brick it, which to me is the entire point of a net book.

Gildas, Jul 31, 2008
  8. Davidcowling

fuzz

It's not as good as something like a mac, but it's almost up there with a typical dell laptop. The screen hinges are good and solid (often a place where cheap laptops break in my experience), and there's nothing that feels like it might break easily. The weight is spot on, it's light, but has just enough of a heft in the hand.
    Pop into a store and handle one if you can before you buy.

fuzz, Aug 2, 2008
  9. Davidcowling

AA1Rocks

Just took mine apart for a RAM upgrade - looks sturdy enough and the parts fit nicely together. Plastic is not flimsy imo

AA1Rocks, Aug 5, 2008
  10. Davidcowling

Davidcowling

problem is, i can't find anywhere that has any in store!

Davidcowling, Aug 5, 2008
  11. Davidcowling

bit-ninja

I have owned and opened an Asus Eee and the Aspire One and they seemed about equal to me. They both feel solid enough while handling and the hinges on both seem sturdy enough for me to move or even pickup the netbook by the screen.

The seams and joints line up precisely and all the edges are clean. The buttons are firm and don't seem loose or anything.

I really don't know why someone would complain about the build quality. Maybe because the keyboard gives just a "little bit" when you type you might think it is cheaply made. I think the keyboard may be less robust to keep the weight down... and I know it is used as a heatsink for the CPU. Just because the design requires some sacrifice to achieve a specific goal, does not mean it was badly put together.

People, who I show it to, look at it, pick it up and are always impressed at the quality of the machine when they hear the price. Kind of the same reaction when you buy something from Apple... except with Apple they are impressed you could afford something so beautiful AND expensive.... :cool:

bit-ninja, Aug 9, 2008
  12. Davidcowling

iMav

The build quality is one of the reasons I bought the AA1.

I had been considering an eee 901 and the wind, but decided to swing by my local Circuit City to check out the AA1 due to its very competitive price point.

As soon as I got hands on it, I was impressed with the build quality. Keyboard more solid than I was expecting...I really like the touchpad that has the same finish as the rest of the top case (doesn't appear to be a oil sponge like other touchpads). Feels solid overall, hinges appear to be high-quality, and the display is surprisingly bright and clear.

iMav, Aug 10, 2008
  13. Davidcowling

Davidcowling

well this thread has certainly quashed some rumours that i have heard!

Davidcowling, Aug 11, 2008
Ask a Question