Broken Microphone?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by benjgvps, Dec 26, 2008.

1. benjgvps

woodland

@ mobileman

If you really wanna check your microphone try the acer-puppy-410-27.iso (i've posted this in this thread before)
    using "netbootin" you can install it on and run it from a usb stick

plz do open the alsamixer and up the pcm soundlevel and the other ones too that are set to 0 (zero) just to make sure.

if it doesn't work in that distro your mic might be broken.

Just be a little patient; the real Linux guru's will sort it all out for us

just my advice feel free to ignore it...
    Updating and installing all sorts of stuff will probably only wreck your current version of linpus and you'll end up with a non functioning machine

if you're real gutsy you could try the (Italian- language) version of Linux4one RC1.iso , if you wait a little more there will be an English version... the word is that these guys have fixed the mic problem without breaking a lot of other functionality... reading sd-cards... etc., etc.,

I'm gonna test this distro tonight and i hope 'the word" is right... but seeing is believing

woodland, Jan 5, 2009
  2. benjgvps

MobileMan

The Linux gurus don't talk to us mortals, we may have posted something that someone else did somewhere. Nobody will even tell my what a damn audio recorder is for this. Run it off a USB, well I don't want to try installing different OS- you find little "quirks" like doesn't see either SD card on bootup, or crashes- with the SSD you have no space to try exotic multiple installs. And I'm not sharp enough to figure that stuff out. But if I can do the USB run, I'll try that- my boot choices are SSD and PCI bus- that is the USB then?? Linpus support ends on Jan 7???? On a machine thats a half year old???? Are they kidding? I have Ubuntu on big machine, though have been neglecting it.

Just realized DV video camera works with standard software (on big XP lappy) and is actually controlled by it- got a Firewire card 1 1/2 years ago- but lappy got fried in Russia and lost the Canon software, which thought was necessary. Monster files though- 178meg/minute for native AVI. Yousa.
    Damn its -17C, 3F here in Kiev, hope this gas crisis doesn't escalate- Putin is capable of anything and this could get ugly very fast, since maybe Ukraine is diverting Europes gas- my gas pressure is the same. Must do a radio report on it

MobileMan, Jan 6, 2009
  3. benjgvps

woodland

Hi Mobile,

did you ever try plugging in an External Microphone? works like a charm on my AA1(in skype)
    sorry can't help you with regards to recording software

About the experimenting bit:

humm my BIOS (3305) is nicer SSD or USb are my choices; try pci bus is my guess

You can do a backup on a USB stick and later restore you original setup and Data if you follow this bit:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html

i've done it several times. it's easy and very straightforward and more important works perfectly

SD cards not recognized on bootup is not such a big problem. After boot; release them and push em back in will usually do the trick (it does the trick on Linux4One which btw is Ubuntu with the NetbookRemix)

I'm still testing Linux4One:
    Internal mic works perfectly with Skype.
    But there are some issues with suspend and hibernate to deal with...(no sound after resume)

I do think that the linux community will soon solve all our probs with regards to the AA1...
    (they are nice people those linux Guru's but very busy ATM)

Hope it doesn't get to cold over there ;)
    I'm in the clear with regards to the gas... we don't use it on the isle where i live (but we have other probs;)

woodland, Jan 9, 2009
  4. benjgvps

penandpaper

my AAO is running on winXP.

a few days ago my mic suddenly stopped working. i stream audio and video but oddly the audio did not work. the mic was no muted. even more strange, when i use skype the mic recording did work.

i am guessing there might be some software conflict, so i uninstalled skype.i ran my audio and video streaming this time and the audio worked. the mic was fine.

if your mic doesnt work try uninstalling any software that would use the mic.

penandpaper, Jan 9, 2009
  5. benjgvps

rwitmer

I also somehow got the "Deaf Microphone" problem. The microphone used to work, but somehow it stopped. I tried re-installing new RealTek drivers off the Acer Aspire One support site that didn't fix the problem.

The only thing that finally worked was getting the Realtek audio drivers version 1.78. After installing that and rebooting, the microphone started working again. Now I can do skype calling! Whoa!

rwitmer, Jan 10, 2009
  6. benjgvps

MobileMan

OK, are those Realtek 1.78 drivers just for windows or is there sometghing for fedora linux.

I downloaded the puppy- how exactly do I install ("burn") it on a jump drive so ne can boot from it?

MobileMan, Jan 19, 2009
  7. benjgvps

rwitmer

YES. My deaf mic problem was a Windows Realtek driver problem.

rwitmer, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question