Broken Keyboard Ribbon Cable Clip

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by esinger, Dec 29, 2008.

1. esinger

esinger

Yesterday I installed a 1 GB SODIMM in my new Aspire One. Not knowing that the clip that connects the keyboard ribbon cable to the mainboard just rotates up to release the cable, I popped it off. I proceeded with the memory install and when I came back to reattaching the keyboard ribbon cable I apparently use a little too much force trying to re-attach the ZIF connector clip and broke it. Searching around I could not find any part number for the clip, but of course found the part number for the mainboard which is outrageously priced (I could buy a completely new Aspire One for a little more). So I’m looking for any place that I could get just the clip and not the entire mainboard. Currently I’m working on a way to keep the ribbon cable attached to the connector and I’m having limited success.

Thank You,

Eric Singer

esinger, Dec 29, 2008
  2. esinger

esinger

Last night I was able to get the ribbon cable firmly in place using a small and thin piece of cardboard to wedge the ribbon cable against the connectors and some electrical tape to hold it in place. Probably not the most professional thing anyone has ever seen, but my Aspire one is now 100% functional.

Just FYI, I searched quite a bit to find a replacement for the flip up clip and came up with nothing. Apparently HP latptops use the same mechanism and they have to replace the whole motherboard when they break theirs.

esinger, Dec 30, 2008
  3. esinger

bisc67

Thanks for posting you're solution. I broke the same connector but on the SSD module. I did what you have done and it now works just fine.

I was able to find a very similar connector at mouser.com. I had not ordered it yet, but your solution worked, so I didn't need to anymore.

I used a piece of plastic from the sealed packaging my 1GB memory module was in. Works just fine. No taping required.

Also, installed EWF, man what a difference.

bisc67, Dec 31, 2008
  4. esinger

esinger

I'm glad my solution worked for you! I'm still kind of miffed that there's no Acer replacement part number. Also the fact that you have to take the whole netbook apart to replace the RAM.

esinger, Dec 31, 2008
  5. esinger

dasy2k1

yes i very nearly had the same problem....

i pinged the little black plastic hinge out when getting the cables out and coudent work out how to get them in
    i was thinking you slid the cable in then clipped the plastic wedge on top...

once i found this thread and relised that they rotate is was a 2 second job of cliping them back in place... rotating them up and installing the cables as designed.

dasy2k1, Apr 2, 2009
  6. esinger

TantalusFld

I repaired mine by pushing a miniature wedge into the ribbon connector to put extra pressure on it. I made the wedge out of a clarinet reed I bought at a music shop.

TantalusFld, Apr 2, 2009
  7. esinger

JustinX

how did u do it? can u give more specific instruc tions? thank you

JustinX, Jul 6, 2013
  8. esinger

goldie

Thanks I broke the clip on my trackpad on my Ispirion your solution worked like charm.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
    goldie, Oct 2, 2013
  9. esinger

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Bodging... Bodging... What's wrong with using a Hot Glue Gun?

Just a thought.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 30, 2013
  10. esinger

lehri123

All these tinny details are made with lot of background knowledge. You efforts to provide us so nice and useful information are pretty good.

lehri123, Nov 27, 2013
Ask a Question