Brilliant! I broke everything.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by eskimo, Oct 18, 2008.

1. eskimo

eskimo

Well, that's not entirely true, I didn't break everything. Lappy still works as a whole, however...
    Firefox won't open.
    Pirut won't open.

When I try to open Firefox, I get the loading thing around my cursor for about a minute and a half, and then it goes back to doing nothing.

When I tried to open Pirut to see if I had accidentally uninstalled Firefox somehow (this all happened after trying to install Firefox 3), I got this:

Code:
    Component: pirut
    Summary: TB76714bb2 config.py:80:__set__:ValueError: Error parsing 'NOT': invalid boolean value

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 476, in <module>
        main()
      File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 469, in main
        pm = PackageManager(options.config, options.onlyrepo)
      File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 63, in __init__
        GraphicalYumBase.__init__(self, False, config)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 129, in __init__
        plugin_types=(yum.plugins.TYPE_CORE,))
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 113, in doConfigSetup
        errorlevel=errorlevel)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 164, in _getConfig
        self.getReposFromConfig()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 237, in getReposFromConfig
        thisrepo = self.readRepoConfig(parser, section)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 259, in readRepoConfig
        repo.populate(parser, section, self.conf)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/config.py", line 376, in populate
        setattr(self, name, value)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/config.py", line 80, in __set__
        raise ValueError('Error parsing %r: %s' % (value, str(e)))
    ValueError: Error parsing 'NOT': invalid boolean value

Local variables in innermost frame:
    obj: remi-test
    self: <yum.config.BoolOption object at 0x852ddec>
    e: invalid boolean value
    value: NOT

Before this, I should add that I was messing around with Pirut to try and install available packages that I hadn't gotten to yet. Each time I tried that, though, it would say that it couldn't find the dependencies needed.

So, I guess I have two questions: First, WTF did I do? Second, how do I fix it?

eskimo, Oct 18, 2008
  2. eskimo

rbil

Don't know why Pirut is acting like it is? Are you trying to launch it from the commandline or from the menu? Whether installing FF3 somehow impacts Python, I have no idea?

As to Firefox ... it's possible that installing FF3 replaced the shell script that is/was: /usr/bin/firefox although I wouldn't expect that to be the case. What does this command in a terminal yield?:

ls -l /usr/bin/fire*

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 18, 2008
  3. eskimo

eskimo

It says there's no such file or directory.

I've tried opening Pirut from both the menu and the terminal, either way it gives me the same message.

eskimo, Oct 19, 2008
  4. eskimo

rbil

Sorry, but I don't know what you got there? Looks like no firefox is there, neither 2 nor 3. You might try installing firefox from the commandline. Command is probably:

sudo yum install firefox

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 19, 2008
  5. eskimo

eskimo

Yikes, I must have accidentally deleted it.
    I have Pirut working again, though. I cleared out my yum cache and it starting working again. Maybe I installed a Fedora-9 package?

Okay.... trying to install firefox, but no dice. No package found (which is odd, considering I have the tar.bz2 sitting right here, as well as the decompressed version). I'm probably just being newbie-stupid. Any help?

EDIT: Huzzah for Google!
    Found this guide: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/inst ... e-one.html
    Works so far. Now then, to back this up for next time I decide to screw around...

eskimo, Oct 19, 2008
Ask a Question