Bricked by rebooting???

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by naddie, Sep 6, 2008.

1. naddie

naddie

I was in Ubuntu and rebooted the machine so I can get back to grub to boot into Windows. however, once Ubuntu shut down, I saw nothing but a black screen (no backlight either0. So I pulled the plug and yank they battery to turn it off. It doesn't matter if I use the battery or the AC adapter, if I turn it on, I see nothing but a black screen, but the CPU fan and power light is on.

Anyone experienced this?

I'm going to try to recover the BIOS, but is this Acer's traditional quality issues rearing its head as usual?

naddie, Sep 6, 2008
  2. naddie

naddie

naddie, Sep 6, 2008
  3. naddie

Guest Guest

Mine bricked after a reboot too. Seems to be a common problem. Fortunately the procedure outlined above seems to work for everyone that's tried it. Acer better get on this problem fast.

Guest, Sep 6, 2008
  4. naddie

naddie

This is a common problem? I didn't read about it or anything! In fact, I tried to search for anyone else who had the same issue, but no hits.

While I'm glad that the crisis emergency recovery flash works, I had a sinking feeling whenever I see that!

I wonder if Acer is aware of the issue.

naddie, Sep 6, 2008
  5. naddie

Laslow

Well, they're going to hear about it. I was about to reinstall Windows on my AA1-110, rebooted, and got the Black Screen (*ominous music starts*). I followed the listed procedure, watched as my flash drive lit up and blinked, and all seemed well, however it never restarted. I waited five minutes, powered it off, then back on, and still just the Black Screen. I tried again with the original BIOS, but got the same result.

Looks like I'm giving Acer a call tomorrow....

Laslow, Sep 8, 2008
  6. naddie

GriFF3n

Wow, this just happened to me. Talk about a sinking feeling. The fix worked though :D . Why does Acer do this to its customers?

GriFF3n, Sep 10, 2008
  7. naddie

melhiore

I thing I have to prepare separate pendrive with BIOS and keep it in safe place... By the way - any news about new version of BIOS (33xx)??

melhiore, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question