Bricked Aspire One 150

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by francisgl61, Apr 18, 2009.

1. francisgl61

francisgl61

I have loved my Aspire One. It has been a great machine, but it seems to have bricked. Not sure why. I cannot get the splash screen, the hard drive is not loading. I have tried unsuccessfully to reflash the bios. Would appreciate any leads on reviving my machine.

Francis\

francisgl61, Apr 18, 2009
  2. francisgl61

TantalusFld

Francis tell us what you do have. Power light, drive light, screens you see however brief. Events leading up to this. Ever had it apart.

Jim

TantalusFld, Apr 18, 2009
  3. francisgl61

serkle k

I have unfortunatly followed suit as the OP. I was asked to take a look at this AAO, based on the original problem, and the research I found, it seemed that the thing to do was to Flash the BIOS. And so and I am some what familiar with updating OS' and reflashing firmware and other such critical info, I read on how to do this, and after a few hours of re-reading what to do, I finially decided to do it. I got the "correct" files, and installed it onto a USB pen, and FN+Esc+Power... Power.... auto reboot.... and nothing... same result as if i didnt do anything... Afte about 4 hours, I decided to pack up (I was in school/computer class) and now I am home looking for more possible solutions before I try to open the machie up th get a better look at the motherboard... Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated...

Also I am sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to look through my search results before I opend a new thread.

serkle k, May 15, 2009
  4. francisgl61

jerryt

Some have reported that the following works.
    Remove charger cord, remove the battery, hold the power button down for 30 seconds, reconnect battery and power cord. Perform Macles bios recovery. reflash the bios after the computer boots with the normal bios upgrade procedure.

jerryt, May 15, 2009
  5. francisgl61

johngilbert371

Hi please see my post "bios hard reset" i had a similar problem after flashing an incompatible bios.

I eventually replaced the bios chip, please see my post for details.

John

johngilbert371, May 15, 2009
  6. francisgl61

serkle k

unfortunately, this did nothing for me, thank you for the offering

serkle k, May 15, 2009
  7. francisgl61

serkle k

i read your post, thank you for this offering... My concern is, do they ship to the US and how long and how much will this turn out to be? I am in NJ if it makes a difference.

serkle k, May 15, 2009
  8. francisgl61

johngilbert371

Yes I think he would. Send him an email he will be able to give you a quote, he was very helpful and straight forward when I spoke to him.

John

johngilbert371, May 17, 2009
  9. francisgl61

riverindus

When you flash the BIOS you must have both the battery and power adapter connected along with your bios flash usb stick.
    Also you press power up to switch on once holding down esc and en buttons -let go buttons and then press power on button once again breifly then release.(see Macles Blogspot bios recovery also listed in other threads)

The power button should flash .Then wait get a coffee

Do not touch anything until the opening f2 selection screen appears hopefully (notethis can take time 10-20minutes) .
    remove usb bios flash /restart and run system recovery usb flash stick or cd if you have external cddrive.

Hope this works.I had same prob and did this Mostly the blogs are about flashing the bios correctly.

riverindus, May 18, 2009
  10. francisgl61

serkle k

thank you for the input... I did this about 4-5 times in 4 hours, and it never took... as i said unfortunatly the last time I did anything to it, it wouldnt start up... sounds like my only other option at this point is to get a new BIOS chip... the only thing that happens is the battery light turns orange as soon as I put the battery in, and nothing else... :?

serkle k, May 18, 2009
  11. francisgl61

serkle k

thank you, I will definately try to get in touch with him!

serkle k, May 18, 2009
  12. francisgl61

akaea

Thanks to Riverindus.

I had tried the BIOS flash thing. No joy.

I tried system restore but when that came up the trackpad wasn't working - most frustrating.

I have now done as you suggest intervening in the flash process and then rebootng with the recovery usb stick and bob's your uncle. Thanks ever so much. I love this little machine but that was an irritating 24 hours. For the record mine went wrong after I was resizing the size of the Wine window in which I was running Spotify to which I am currently addicted. Does anyone clever think that the 2 events are related ? NB I had also earlier in the evening done the Linbus live update (after many unsuccessful attempts) but the netbook worked well for a couple of hours before it did dumb insolence black screen and mouse pointer thing.

Anyway all's well that ends well for me and thanks to all the kind people who take the trouble to try and help complete amateurs like me.

akaea, Jun 3, 2009
Ask a Question