BRAND NEW making Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by planetzpmq, Dec 17, 2008.

1. planetzpmq

planetzpmq

I purchased my system a couple of weeks ago. 120GB Windows XP, everything including that fan working flawlessly. Starting a couple of days ago, I now hear a constant "Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" almost like an air filter for a small fish tank coming from the fan. It gets a little louder when the computer needs to cool down. It's rather irritating and randomly started after weeks of working fine. What's the deal? I haven't dropped the comp or installed any random software. :shock:

planetzpmq, Dec 17, 2008
  2. planetzpmq

treker

It was slightly noisy from the gitgo. A constant whine from the fan. Not loud or objectionable especially if there was some background noise. In a totally quiet environment you could hear it. I installed AA1FanControl and set it to come on at 62C. Now I have a totally silent AA1. It doesn't come on! Runs great. I am a happy camper. I like quiet computers. I don't think alot of quality in source selection of fans was performed by Acer. But even top of the line Lenovo Thinkpads have reported fan noise problems. Put the program in and if you like it, send the author some PayPal encouragement. I did. Well worth it.

treker, Dec 17, 2008
  3. planetzpmq

r0underss

I got the answer: i had the same problem same computer same GB and i'm guessing its the blue one.. Well i haven't dropped or anything, i treat it like it was my baby.... my fan started sounding loud and i thought it might be my HD(hard drive) but only solution honestly is sending it back to ACER america, they ship it to Ontario in Brampton, .. just use ur box that u got from buying the laptop make sure its taped up and send it.. i've paid 30$ for express, got there in 3 business days and they check it and replaced my FAN...so first thing to do so you don't have to go threw hassle is that you go register ur computer on "acer.ca" then put in box with your charger nothing else.. then ship it get the tracking number and when it gets there .. 3 days then they fix probally 4-5 business days and sent back 2-3 days so expect a week and a half to 2 weeks depends on how cheap you want to be... if u really love ur computer which u probally do from coming on here you'll end up having dreams about ur laptop lol...

r0underss, Dec 17, 2008
  4. planetzpmq

planetzpmq

yeah mines blue. that's a problem though. i can't live without this thing. it's where i do my daily work.

planetzpmq, Dec 17, 2008
  5. planetzpmq

lamthuyduong

AA1 Fan Control works pretty well. It turns off the fan at a set temperature and turns on the fan at a set temperature. Mine is set to turn off when the computer hits 68 farenheit and turns on when the temperature hits 70 farenheit. Thanks.

lamthuyduong, Dec 19, 2008
  6. planetzpmq

planetzpmq

WOW it immediately works! That darn fan was awful. Does anyone know what the best temps are to set at to where the fan wont go on but you wont burn down your computer?

planetzpmq, Dec 19, 2008
  7. planetzpmq

Raiden

I have the same issue here. Yesterday afternoon, it was working correctly, then in the evening, huge noise from the fan (about in the center of the netbook). I have contacted acer and they suggest to have it verified by their service center.

Raiden, Dec 22, 2008
  8. planetzpmq

Raiden

Does it sound better then when you first got your laptop or it's just back to normal?

Raiden, Dec 22, 2008
  9. planetzpmq

snofire

Similar problem here - month and a half old AAO's fan got worse out of the blue. It isn't the fan itself that bugs me - its a grating high-frequency buzzing that only comes on sometimes.
    I downloaded the Fan Control program, but it didn't help. It restricts the fan's operation, but the buzzing still appears whenever the fan turns on.
    Any ideas?

snofire, Dec 23, 2008
  10. planetzpmq

lamthuyduong

The best way to get rid or reduce the noise level is to buy a new fan and heat sink. My friend has the same exact AAO and his fan is about half as noisy as mine. I'm going to search for a new AAO fan and replace this one. It's all luck with the acer fan. Some were shipped with decent fans and the noise level will be minimal while others will have bad fans and the noise level will be eye bulging, hair pulling annoyance.

lamthuyduong, Dec 24, 2008
  11. planetzpmq

planetzpmq

I took my AA1 to Best Buy Geek Squad stating I needed to replace the fan but wanted them to check it out, order the fan, and call me when it was in so I never would have to give up my only computer. They said I could do that with Acer. Just have them ship the fan to me and then bring the equipment to Geeksquad. is this true? In fact, I may do it myself if this is possible.

planetzpmq, Dec 24, 2008
  12. planetzpmq

Tenshii

I bought my A150 5 days ago, it has been very quiet so far, but started to make a very anyoing sound 10 minutes ago. It sounds almost like that sound a old and soon-to-be-dead fan can make. Can't say I'm very happy about hearing that sound already :s Sure, AA1fancontrol can help me some, but I'll probably try to swap it for a new one if the problem remain.

Tenshii, Dec 27, 2008
  13. planetzpmq

planetzpmq

BTW the problem remains...

planetzpmq, Dec 27, 2008
  14. planetzpmq

whatotherway

Mine was wonderfully quiet. I have Linux, 120 GB Hard Drive, and have been recommending it to all and sundry. At least 3 people I know have already bought one, after looking at mine.

But after I downloaded the latest upgrade, and rebooted it, the fan got noisy.

It is so noisy, I've been asked to turn it off when at work.

Which is bad, as that was one reason I bought it, so I could continue working on stuff.

Reading the above comments, I looked at the settings area, and I see nothing about how to turn the fan on or off by temperature.

Perhaps this is one area where windows is better?

Richard

whatotherway, Dec 30, 2008
  15. planetzpmq

biff

Same problem here. I think it started as direct result of running the live updates for the first time. If I install the fan controller is 70 degrees the right temp to turn on the fan?

I'm on Linpus not XP. Does this mean there isn't an app to help? If so how is it controlled in Linpus?

cheers for any help.

biff, Jan 2, 2009
  16. planetzpmq

koffa

I have the same problem. Don't know if it occured when I upgraded the BIOS - but I think not. It only makes that extremely loud sound when booting Windows, not ubutuntu (though it's still loud then, not only the about-to-die loud) so, is there some sort of software sollution to this problem or must I replace the fan - and if so, how do I go about doing it? (I have been making som mods to it, so sending it back to Acer would probably not be appreciated).

koffa, Jan 5, 2009
  17. planetzpmq

AnotherHappyAAOuser

The fan usually kicks in with heavy or long processor use especially when windows xp boots. You probably have a bad fan.
    I had a ONE a few month ago but returned it because it because the fan made a too high pitched noise. I could not stand it. I just bought a ONE again last week and that one that acceptable fan noise level, so far. I can hear a low vroomm and the air flow, nothing really disturbing. Try to hold your ONE upside down or 90 degree and see if that make less noise. I would guess that probably your fan rotor does not tighly fit on the axle and thus causing excess vibration.

AnotherHappyAAOuser, Jan 9, 2009
  18. planetzpmq

stepppy

My One was Linpus origianlly, but I immediately put XP on, so I can't compare the two, but with XP my fan will run pretty much all the time, but a low speed and not too annoying.

I have now installed a1ctl and it runs silently most of the time. I have it set at 50, 55, 60. I think I could set it higher, but i'm toop chicken :D

stepppy, Jan 9, 2009
  19. planetzpmq

AnotherHappyAAOuser

Be careful with setting the fan at a higher temp though. Since the fan would also vent the motherboard, setting the fan higher can cause heat build up on localized area on the motherboard. Some users reported failure of their wifi card when stopping their fan due to a probable heat issue.

Also, when you increase the temperature, you are also increasing the thermal stress on the components and on the solder. The solder might crack (break) prematurely specially on quad flat package IC.

AnotherHappyAAOuser, Jan 16, 2009
  20. planetzpmq

hugemoth

The first AAO I bought had a very loud fan, unacceptable. Sounded like the fan blade was touching something. I immediately took it back and exchanged it for another one. This one is very quiet, hard to tell the fan is running.

Q

hugemoth, Jan 16, 2009
Ask a Question