Brand New AA1 - cant boot

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by bcheers, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bcheers

bcheers

My daughter just unpacked her new AA1 and tried to boot it up. It boots but then has an error message : When trying to update the password this return status indicates that the value provided by the current password is not correct", then it restarts and goes back to the same message.
    She is heartbroken and the Acer Support people have gone home. Please help.

bcheers, Oct 28, 2008
  2. bcheers

jamesb72

Is this before Linux boot in which case this sounds like BIOS has got mashed and its confused over BIOS password being set or not.
    If this is the case reflashing bios might get round this - worst case you can still just take it back to the shop and return it as faulty anyway, so can't hurt to try.
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html

If Linux is booting to desktop, and then you get this error, this won't help, in which case you need to run the recovery procedure - boot Acer recovery DVD on another PC and you will need a 2Gb minimum size USB keydrive to use for recovery image, you then boot the AA1 off this USB key and it restores everything to factory defaults.

If it was me I'd be worried there was some other fault which had caused the BIOS/SSD to be corrupted, so if it plays up at all in the first week or so, I would return it to supplier and swap for another one anyway.

Good luck.

jamesb72, Oct 28, 2008
  3. bcheers

2manydjs

Poor her.. It sounds like you're not the first to use this computer. Although your description isn't very clear to me, I would recommend trying to re-install the OS using the included DVD, a second computer and a 1GB thumb drive.

Alternatively you could bring it back to the shop.

Good luck!

2manydjs, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question