Brand New AA1 - 3 questions for the pros...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by BongMong, Feb 4, 2009.

1. BongMong

BongMong

Hiya chums. I just got my first netbook, an Aspire One with 8gig SSD, 512meg ram and Linpus.

Sounds lovely, you might say, and you'd be very right. Great for trade union work on the run. But I am quite new with all this and so need a few tips from you old lags :)~

As to my starting point, I am pretty hot with computers (I can persuade them to blow up submarines for the state so I must be). I am a first time Linux user though.

Right. Now on 8 gig I don't need to install too much but there are a few tweaks I needed to do. So far:

Updated bios to latest and re-did the system with disc 1.0.15.E (latest I could get). Full Live Update carried out.

Updated to latest Firefox (keeping FF2 around to cover dependencies). Updated to latest Open Office.

Removed MPlayer and installed VLC.

Installed a 4gig SD card in the left SE slot.

Got my 3G Broadband USB stick (Vodafone UK) working well with the Mobile Partner utility.

*RIGHT* Question time - 3 wishes:

1) I wish that removing MPlayer had worked properly, it is not showing on the desktop and not ticked in the add/remove programs thingie, but it still seems to be on the desktop context menu (advanced mode) and it seems to run up from there. With the limited space on this thing, can it be removed properly?

2) I wish that the Mobile Partner utility wouldn't run up VLC the first time it is run each session. Can this be discouraged?

3) I wish that the Aspire One wouldn't pop up with two (yes, two!) SD card expansion style 'Upgrade Successful' announcement alerts, stacked one directly above the other, shortly after every boot! This takes up the whole right side of the screen. Can't this be stopped? Alright already, I know I upgraded the storage. Why does the system want to chastise me for this for ever more? Should I apologise and buy it choccies and a bunch of flowers?

Wish 1 is mildly annoying, but ought to be solvable if only I understood Linux.
    Wishes 2 and 3 would be mild, if it wasn't for the fact they happen all the ruddy time. Must be my learning curve.

So, chums, can anyone help me out?

Ta,
    BongMong :)~

BongMong, Feb 4, 2009
  2. BongMong

woodland

Hi,

1 have a look here:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/11/inst ... linux.html
    "You can then also remove the pre-installed media master and mplayer.
    sudo yum remove pdvdlinux mplayer\*
    sed /pcmmvp/d -i $HOME/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml"

2 & 3 someone else will have to help you out with that.. sorry

woodland, Feb 4, 2009
  3. BongMong

BongMong

Thanks for your help, but I followed that procedure. That's how I got where I am. Looks like it's been uninstalled, but it is still launching from the desktop context menu.

I take it you've never seen any of these effects then? Just my Aspire is it?

I suppose I'm asking 'Am I normal Doctor?' but I would like to know if it's something I've done or if this is the kind of thing all Aspire users have to tackle.

Anyone else able to contribute? Ta folks :)~

BongMong, Feb 4, 2009
  4. BongMong

mattytee

What happens after issuing this command:
    Code:
    sudo yum remove mplayer
    IE, do you get an error message? Or does it complete successfully?

I am not familiar with "mobile partner." Is this something you've installed?

Finally, the SD card message is a function of their aufs setup. I don't know whether it can be suppressed, but it disappears by itself in a few seconds.

mattytee, Feb 5, 2009
  5. BongMong

BongMong

Yes, I get:

No Match for argument: mplayer
    NoPackages marked for removal

Mobile Partner is available on Live Update (optionally) from Acer (though it's called something different, Huawei blah blah, the manufacturer of most of these 3G modems). It's their 3G manager. It shows up in the blue 'Connect' group of icons on the desktop. It enables me to use my 3G mobile broadband stick, so I'm running it quite often.

So, the SD card message comes up for others on every boot as well then? If so, why do I get two of them, one placed directly above the other? Does that happen for everyone else as well? I only have the one 4gig SD card in it.

Thanks for all your help. This is very new to me. I will get the hang of it but it's a steep curve.

BongMong, Feb 5, 2009
Ask a Question