Bought 2 for the kids...great but...hair pulling out!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by newtoitall, Dec 28, 2008.

1. newtoitall

nmesisca

I am not criticizing anyone. I am stating statistical FACTS.
    The AAO is not sold with OS2 so your point is moot. It is sold with Windows or Linpus. I am comparing the help requests for both of them.
    As I said before, there is a difference between buying a laptop to 'fiddle' with it and eventually making it work the way you intend to, and buying a laptop to use it.
    If *nix gives you something more that Windows cannot provide, by all means then thats the way to go. But if what you need is provided out of the box using Windows instead, I fail to see what is the benefit in spending hours trying to make it work (and maybe never succeed).
    The reality of things as they are is that the price of the AAO makes it very appealing to IT beginners that have no 'fiddling' abilities and expect from out of the box Linpus to provide features never meant to be implemented by it.
    It looks to me as if you cant analyse the situation without being biased.

"Our Windows XP netbooks are outselling Linux machines by more than 9 to 1," Henry Lee senior product manager - retail channel manager, Acer Computer Australia, told iTWire.
    "That's pretty much the case both in Australia and worldwide.
    "The Linux netbooks sell particularly to hardcore Linux users who want to customise their system"

Read:
    http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=53

nmesisca, Dec 30, 2008
  2. newtoitall

daldred

And I'm pointing out the statistical biases which are likely to have influenced those statistics.. If you have any more accurate information, please quote how many new Linux users are using AAOs, and how many new Windows users. That's the only basis on which the number of posts seeking basic help on the respective systems becomes relevant: numbers of posts alone are irrelevant. Do we need to get into quoting qualifications in statistical theory?

The simple fact here is that the OP has made a specific choice. You have used the thread he started to criticise the OS he has chosen to try. I think the problem is yours: why do you find his ability to choose on his own criteria so upsetting that you hijack the thread to evangelise for your OS? He's not affecting your freedom to choose your own system, or anyone else's ability to choose theirs.

daldred, Dec 30, 2008
  3. newtoitall

nmesisca

LOL
    Sure, if we dont like the statistics, then its of course because they are biased.
    Whatever rocks your boat mate. enjoy the fiddling, and please suggest to buy the Linpus version to all the beginners you meet and chat to, they will love the fiddling.

nmesisca, Dec 30, 2008
  4. newtoitall

daldred

Fine! And you keep recommending Windows: the new users will love the malware and reinstalls, I'm sure :).

daldred, Dec 30, 2008
  5. newtoitall

nmesisca

Reinstalling, oh noes!!
    :roll:

nmesisca, Dec 30, 2008
  6. newtoitall

starchild42

I've just posted the same issues

Hi

Bought the Acer Aspire One 150 linux lite version with 120gb hard drive, have uploaded all the live updates including firefox 3.03.

Most upset at this product as my daughter cannot get in to all her favorite sites so wanted to know if it was the machine, software or firefox settings.

I know Hotmail will not work so set up gmail as suggested, but we could not get past the log in screen as it just went blank with DONE in the corner. Facebook will load but if you click on photos the screen freezes. Myspace you ge tthe lof in screen but cannot get past this. BBC website will not play video content.

Is the product really that poor? Went back to Currys today and there suggesting was to wipe it and put XP on it. I said i would give myself 2 days to sort this out or they were going to have to give me my money back.

Can anyone help or work out what is going wrong. I would say I was pretty savy techy wise and have a dell xps laptop and a Packard Bell Pc so had my fair share of issues in the past but this just takes the .................

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Please tell me there is a setting that needs tweeking before I also have to buy a new window, once the Acer one goes out

starchild42, Dec 30, 2008
  7. newtoitall

daldred

In about four different places. I hope you're going to keep everone informed what responses you get in all the different threads so we don't all repeat the same stuff.
    You fou8nd Firefox 3 on Live Update? Where?

Do you mean you added Firefox 3, and deleted Firefox 2? If so you may well have deleted libraries which other parts of the Acer system depend upon, as has been said many times in this forum. You probably need to use the recovery disk and start again.

daldred, Dec 30, 2008
  8. newtoitall

starchild42

No didnt work with version 2 either, seems to be an issue whenever you click a page with embedded content such as "next" or "submit" etc

Paul

9. newtoitall

daldred

Next and submit buttons aren't embedded content, they are usually ordinary HTML buttons (unless you go to very wierd websites). Yet that triggers a thought: some poorly designed websites rely on Javascript to make buttons act;

- Have you perhaps switched off Javascript in the browser (in FF3: Edit->Preferences, then Content tab - is the Enable Javascript box ticked?)

- Have you perhaps added the Firefox 'NoScript' ext5ension and set it up never to run Javascripts?

daldred, Dec 30, 2008
  10. newtoitall

starchild42

regarding the last post I have checked the settings in firefox and the "enable javascript" is ticked as is "enable Java". I also made sure all the advance options were ticked to allow java script to do what it wants. Still no luck so how can I check the "noScript" extension?

11. newtoitall

daldred

In Firefox, Tools->AddOns - if Noscript is listed then you've added it at some point. Click on it and there will be a 'preferences' button you can select to bring up the options. I haven't got it installed her so can't guide you beyond that.

While you're in the Addons dialog box, check whether Mediawrap is listed (it should be), click on its Preferences button and make sure everything is ticked on both tabs. This shouldn't be relevant to the buttons not working, but may affect embedded media.

daldred, Dec 30, 2008
  12. newtoitall

starchild42

Clicked on media wrap and found enable media wrap was unticked so ticked it and also went in to Advanced and ensured that was all ticked too.

restarted the machine and nothing changed it would still not load after pages with "next" or "submit" embedded. No 'Noscript" found listed in extensions, themes, languages or plugins

13. newtoitall

daldred

Really no idea, then. If an ordinary HTML button fails, then either the HTML engine or the connection is suspect; unless you've got two Firefox installations which have gone wrong in exactly the same way then it seems unlikely the HTML engine is at fault.

I'd be looking at my router settings very closely at this point! Do you have the same problem if you connect to your router wired rather than wirelessly?

daldred, Dec 30, 2008
  14. newtoitall

starchild42

will check tomorrow

Ask a Question