Bought 2 for the kids...great but...hair pulling out!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by newtoitall, Dec 28, 2008.

1. newtoitall

newtoitall

Hi to all.

Spent weeks reading your forum before taking the plunge and buying the kids one each(aspire one) and they are great but....not being exposed to linux before and all brainwashed by windows, we are struggling to find and play linux games downloaded from the web!

Download goes fine but we cant locate and play the game.I looked through all headings to try and find this topic couldn't spot it so sorry if no doubt covered before!We have memory sticks and SD cards so all help very much appreciated.

newtoitall, Dec 28, 2008
  2. newtoitall

melhiore

melhiore, Dec 28, 2008
  3. newtoitall

newtoitall

melhior,

Thanks for the link but to be honest way to complicated for me.

I have visited "wine" and downloaded the linux 1.011 version then downloaded a free linux game and ...zilch nothing..

I do not know how to start/open a game as I can't find it once downloaded let alone open and play it!

Anyone that can help a complete novice as the kids are starting to realise Dad is fallible!

newtoitall, Dec 28, 2008
  4. newtoitall

melhiore

5. newtoitall

daldred

You have read the articles on installing software under Linux, haven't you? The package manager, Pirut, lists hundred of games packages.

If you don't know what Pirut is, you haven't read this: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5105#p33976

Wine is a way of running some Windows software under Linux, so installing Wine to run a Linux game makes no sense at all - that's like installing a Gameboy emulator under Windows in order to run a Windows game!

daldred, Dec 28, 2008
  6. newtoitall

KiNG

or just wipe it and put on xp :) espcially if u have the hard drive model, it can be done on the 8gb ssd as well, but some fine tuning needs to be done.
    but would recommend upgrading the ram as a must for xp.

KiNG, Dec 28, 2008
  7. newtoitall

newtoitall

King,

Dont want to go Windows, fed up with being blackmailed all the time ...

Have noticed on reading forums that over time that some issues (such as SKYPE) are resolved over time as Linux evolves...

We downloaded and run Skype no problems at all so if I can't find a sollution maybe the world wide Linux users will come to the rescue at some point!

newtoitall, Dec 28, 2008
  8. newtoitall

daldred

Is there a specific game you're trying to install?

daldred, Dec 28, 2008
  9. newtoitall

newtoitall

newtoitall, Dec 28, 2008
  10. newtoitall

daldred

Let's look at two listed on that page: Armagetron and Wormux. They show different ways of doing things.

For Wormux:

First, the long way round, but one which is useful if you are looking for packages and don't know exactly the name of the one you want
    Open the add/remove software program (see the post I referred to above (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5105#p33976) for how to get to it). In the Browse tab, select Applications on the left hand side, then (after a short pause while it catches up) Games and Entertainment on the right. I'll warn you now: this stage is very slow - Pirut seems to recreate its list of packages every time. After a bit you will see "Various ways to relax and spend your free time' appear: this tells you that pirut has found all the games packages and is ready to move on, at last!

Now click the 'Optional Packages' button, and it will bring up (after a puase) a window listing the 235 packages available. Near the bottom of this list (which is in alphabetical order) is wormux. Click on this and tick the box by it (again Pirut is slow to respond; it's not my favourite software manager because it's so slow!). Then click 'Close' and on the next window 'Apply', then 'Continue'. Pirut will work out what it needs to download (manythings require other libraries and things to be downloaded too), download the necessary package(s) (it may ask you to confirm additional packages if they are needed) and install the game for you. It should now appear on the right-click menu which you enabled as part of getting to the software manager.

The quick way
    If you know the name of the package you're after there is a far faster way of doing this: open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo yum install wormux
    . The only real risk is that you get it wrong and install a similarly named package by mistake!

For Armagetron:

There is what looks like a slightly different version in the software manager called Armacycles, but ignoring that for the moment let's go through downloading and installing a package. From the website you quoted, follow the links to the main game website and click the 'downloads' link. You're running Linux, the type of Linux is rpm-based, and the machine is an x86-processor based one, so click on the link in that place in the list. The package will then download to your Downloads folder.

Look in "My Downloads" and check the package is there. Now start a terminal (might as well do this from the File menu in My Downloads, since we've ot it open). To install the software, in the terminal type (careful about upper and lower case - they matter):
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uhv armage
    and then press 'tab' - the name of the package will automatically complete for you, saving you typing in all the rest of it. The rpm program, which is what actually does the work of installing things, will then install it for you; if any more packages are needed it will try to find them, download them and install them for you.

This is where things can get difficult; the version of Linux on whcih the One is based is a bit dated (18m out of date is a long time in Linux terms) and it's possible that the latest version of a game may depend on a library which isn't in the Fedora 8 repositories. If so, you can either get seriously advanced and start compiling libraries yourself - probably not really recommended until you're a good deal more used to linux, although it's not as hard as it sounds - or you can settle for an older version listed in Pirut.

Hope this helps,

daldred, Dec 28, 2008
  11. newtoitall

Guest Guest

if you want a good free first person shooter try "open arena"

its basically a remake of quake 3..but if ur kids are too young you might want to skip it for something else

Guest, Dec 29, 2008
  12. newtoitall

newtoitall

David,

WOW! Followed your first part advice and couldn't believe the games found and how "simple" it was.Plenty of games sellected ready for the children in the morning.

I will try the second part of your post (in order to continue my Linux learning curve Monday evening.

To you and all the other guys that give up your valuable time and manage to contain your oft felt frustration at we who are very wet behind the ears, a big thank you.

2 children you will never know will have hours of fun due to your yourselves. :D

newtoitall, Dec 29, 2008
  13. newtoitall

tawd77

i just bought my ONE a few days ago at walmart. It had a few issues, so I returned it for another one. This one has a different bios version, and differnt pouch to carry the laptop in. Both from the same store, within 3 days of each other.

tawd77, Dec 29, 2008
  14. newtoitall

daldred

Great! It beats searching the Net for stuff, doesn't it? And that's just the Games category: there's loads of other software there too....

Have fun - and if you get stuck just ask.

A belated Happy Christmas to them!

daldred, Dec 29, 2008
  15. newtoitall

nmesisca

I wonder if you had to quantify in money the time you spent trying to deal with all this.. do you still think it was worth it?
    What type of blackmail are you referring to??

nmesisca, Dec 29, 2008
  16. newtoitall

newtoitall

nmisisca,

Were to start.

How many times has my computer crashed because of issues? How many updates as Microsoft insist the world finds and fixes it's programs after charging top $ in the first place!How many products have I bought that are now not supported by VISTA?

Virus's at every touch and turn and then the latest "ok you have bought windows but you can't put it on another machine you own"...

As this thread has already shown me, the collective will of those who give their time for free is the way forward IMHO.

newtoitall, Dec 29, 2008
  17. newtoitall

nmesisca

If your computer has many issues, there must be something the OS does not like, hardware or software wise, have you tried troubleshooting the issues? What type of issues are they?
    Also, if the OS is at fault, MS released updates are free of charge. Hotfix can be requested if available and not on WindowsUpdate already, and you will get them in an email about an hour later.
    Could you be more specific as to which software is not compatible with Vista? hardly the fault of Microsoft if the 3rd party company cannot be bothered really, but if you can name a few I may be able to help..
    Lastly, no, you did not buy the Microsoft OS. You bought a licence to use the Microsoft OS, same as MacOS or any other software that is covered by a commercial license. Again, doesnt sound like news to me (right or wrong that is).

In any case, if I have to fiddle with ANY OS for more then 5 minutes to install a printer or skype, its not even worth talking about it.

nmesisca, Dec 29, 2008
  18. newtoitall

daldred

Heh. It was the hours fiddling with a Windows system to get it to talk to a printer over a network which set me off on installing Linux! Some time ago now - but the Linux distro even then found it and printed without any trouble, and without the repeated reboots Windows insisted upon.

daldred, Dec 29, 2008
  19. newtoitall

nmesisca

The tens and tens of threads on this forums beg to differ.

nmesisca, Dec 29, 2008
  20. newtoitall

daldred

I'm not clear why you think that the posts on this forum should indicate that my post was in any way incorrrect: it's what happened to me, and no-one else in the forums was there at the time!

Looking at the numbers of thread and of posts, there are about three times as many LInux related ones as Windows related ones. From what I see (and I tend to scan the Linux posts regularly to try to help out new users) most of the Linux threads are started by people completely new to Linux.

Given that probably 90%+ of the computer using population has used Windows in some form - school, home, work - before buying an Aspire One, whereas Linux is very much a minority OS on the desktop and probably only 10-15% at the most have knowingly used it, it would be reasonable to expect far more activity in the Linux forums compared with the Windows ones - in fact, a factor of three is far lower than would reasonably be expected if the two systems were otherwise equal. If anything, the numbers of posts indicate that Windows users, in proportion, have more need to ask for help.

As I've said elsewhere, if you want to claim that numbers of posts is an indication of ease of use, we all ought to install OS/2 on the One, since no-one has posted with any difficulty involving OS/2. Of course, in reality, that's almost certainly because no-one is using OS/2 on the AAO.

The fact is that you choose your OS, and you find what suits you. You gt the help you need, and decide how to continue. Some people choose to learn more about something new; others prefer the familiar. Each OS has its advantages and its drawbacks; for me the drawbacks of Windows outweigh those of Linux, whereas for you it's the other way round. The OP here wants to try something new - why do you criticise his choice to do so?

daldred, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question