booting off sd card/usb stick

Discussion in 'Storage' started by AspireOneGuy, Oct 10, 2008.

1. AspireOneGuy

AspireOneGuy

I ordered the 160gb windows version with 6-cell battery.

I would like to know if i can boot off of sd card/usb so i dont damage my harddrive when i'm in a more bumpy mobile situation.

so...can you boot off of one of the sd cards?
    i'm mostly sure i can boot off usb drive but correct me if i'm wrong.

if I can boot off sd card then i will when in a situation that i could damage the hard drive, and use the hard drive when there was less chance of damaging it.

Thank you now for any of your answers, hope i get a few sarcastic ones, as they are usually the most entertaining!

AspireOneGuy, Oct 10, 2008
  2. AspireOneGuy

JimK

USB yes, SD no.

JimK, Oct 10, 2008
  3. AspireOneGuy

melhiore

melhiore, Oct 10, 2008
  4. AspireOneGuy

Fuerst

... yes, but booting from USB-stick is problematic, unless you have a programme that automatically prepares the stick and makes it bootable. I tried for several days to make my usb-stick bootable. it was a failure, and I ended up buying an extrenal DVD-drive which works beutifulla. taken the time I wasted manipulating the USB-stick, I should have got the CD-player/burner right away

cheers

Fuerst, Oct 10, 2008
  5. AspireOneGuy

ryptyde

First post to clarify usb booting. I have recently acquired the AAO 120 GB hd 1GB mem WinXP and installed Fedora 10 rawhide from a LiveUSB in under 15 minutes. If you are running Fedora 8,9 or 10 you can use "livecd-iso-to-disk" to write the iso to a usb device and also give it a "persistent overlay" that saves your changes and allows you to install to hdd. There is a "liveusb-creator" available for Windows and you can read more at this link LiveUSB. I have been booting from usb sticks on two other laptops an Acer and a Sony and also from desktops that support usb boot.

I like the AAO and its portability, I recently removed the 512 memory and installed a 1GB block for a total of 1.5GB and currently dual booting Fedora 10 rawhide and WinXP. :)

ryptyde, Oct 29, 2008
  6. AspireOneGuy

Kei

Meh. nvm

Kei, Oct 29, 2008
Ask a Question