Boot problems after ram upgrade

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fleong, Jan 7, 2009.

1. fleong

fleong

I am cross posting this to the Linux area because I looked through this section many times looking for a solution when it seems that it was a hardware problem that caused the intermittent boot problems. With the native 512 m memory, things are good again.

I had no end of problems with booting problems with occasionally the computer hanging during boot, stopping at this screen

For Realtek RTL810E/8102E PCI-Ethernet Controller v1.09 (080602)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Or multiple cyclings to boot

Or just freezes (unable to move cursor, etc)

I did the macles bios reboot - and it helped - the first time for a few hours, then this whole thing restarted.
    I did a full restore - it helped for a few hours.

So I finally pulled out the 1 gig stick (Crucial PC2-4200 for the AAO part #CT868497), and for now it seems to be the culprit.

Any other similar experiences?

F. Leong

fleong, Jan 7, 2009
  2. fleong

rbil

What kind of similar experiences are you looking for? You've obviously found out that the RAM you added was bad. If anyone has been around computers for any length of time, we've been confronted with bad RAM. The fix of course is to replace the RAM. But you already knew that.

Cheers.

rbil, Jan 7, 2009
  3. fleong

macki

I had a similar problem. I did not connect the SSD cable properly after the ram upgrade. First I started to get problems with accessing files and programs and finally the AAO could not find any boot device or freeze while booting.

macki, Jan 30, 2009
  4. fleong

Robert Lake

I have the same problem. But I cannot understand why this should be a hardware problem. If the computer starts up fine and works fine after expanding the RAM it cannot possible be a RAM problem. This must be an bug in the operating system.

Robert Lake, Jun 22, 2009
Ask a Question