Bluetooth without soldering

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by zhaoyi, Sep 17, 2008.

1. zhaoyi

zhaoyi

Anyone has a way to mod the bluetooth into One without soldering?

zhaoyi, Sep 17, 2008
  2. zhaoyi

hmraao

What about a Micro Bluetooth USB Dongle, perhaps? If anyone makes a wifi/bluetooth mini pcie card, you could replace the built-in wifi. But I'm not aware of any:(

hmraao, Sep 17, 2008
  3. zhaoyi

rgarjr

No I don't think there's way to add it by not soldering it.

rgarjr, Sep 17, 2008
  4. zhaoyi

Guest Guest

Should just learn how to solder. Its not expensive to learn and you can practice on some old dead components to get better at it..

Guest, Sep 17, 2008
  5. zhaoyi

radu

I think you do not realize how small the connectors are :) This is the realm of SMD sodering :D
    But anyway, you have 3 USB ports, do you use them all? I think an external BT is better, because you can remove it when not in use and not eat the battery.

radu, Sep 17, 2008
  6. zhaoyi

zhaoyi

I am currently using the micro bluetooth dongle. Althought I have all the tool and parts, but don't have the skill and guts to solder on those tiny spot. ( my hand shakes.... :( ) I think I am just too an@l about everything being inside.

Anyway, any "master" out there can think of a way? Please help, I believe alot ppl wants to do this mod. :)

zhaoyi, Sep 17, 2008
  7. zhaoyi

...BeAkEr...

i like the micro dongle just fine

...BeAkEr..., Sep 17, 2008
  8. zhaoyi

soleblaze

Yeah, that picture tnkgrl posted makes it look ah not that hard! Then you open it up.. the main hard part is soldering it to the usb section of the mini pcie slot, as they're so close together.

Of course, my solution was to get a co-worker to do it using 30guage wire. It helps to work at a semiconductor r&d facility. Almost everyone there knows how to solder stuff that small and you have the esd free labs to do it in.

soleblaze, Sep 17, 2008
  9. zhaoyi

radu

Well, what you can also do if you really want is to get an USB hub, run a wire from one of your USB ports to the hub, then back from the hub to the USB port, so this way you will still have 3 free ports on the hub to use. It should be easier to solder, but you will have to cut the PCB traces around the USB port.

radu, Sep 17, 2008
  10. zhaoyi

melhiore

To complicated :D Believe me or not but is much easier to sold cables to miniPCI pads using standard Weller or any temperature regulated soldering gun. Important is only to have right tip to do that.

I bought one of those: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35016 This soldering iron does have very "sharp" tip which is doing the job very, very well...

melhiore, Sep 17, 2008
  11. zhaoyi

radu

I have a 10W soldering iron (got it specifically for SMD stuff) and I might give it a try when I decide what I want to put inside.
    Btw, a little bit unrelated, but do you think you can put stuff (usb sticks, BT, etc.) on the sides of the monitor? It seems there is a big unused space, but I didn't open it so I don't know what's inside.

radu, Sep 17, 2008
  12. zhaoyi

myfoothurts

I'm trying to decide on whether to install an internal bluetooth or get a micro USB dongle;

Can someone post a pic of how the micro dongle looks, I would love to see how far it sticks out.

Thanks,

myfoothurts, Sep 20, 2008
  13. zhaoyi

...BeAkEr...

[​IMG]

There you go ;)

...BeAkEr..., Sep 22, 2008
  14. zhaoyi

myfoothurtz

OMG! That thing is tiny, well that solves my problem. I'm going external; that way I can always utilize the internal spot for a touchscreen or other future mods; plus I'm not that good at soldering.
    Thanks for the pic Dude!

myfoothurtz, Sep 22, 2008
  15. zhaoyi

...BeAkEr...

I'm pretty good at soldering but I thought the mini dongle was very small and wouldn't involve losing the warranty for such a trivial thing.

...BeAkEr..., Sep 22, 2008
  16. zhaoyi

zhaoyi

zhaoyi, Sep 27, 2008
  17. zhaoyi

melhiore

If you can buy one... This product is already discontinued. On top of that there was some info about MSI products working only with MSI laptops but I can not confirm that. There is a thread about Wi-Fi and Bluetooth combined cards:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3578

melhiore, Sep 27, 2008
  18. zhaoyi

rory

a while ago, i wanted to add internal bluetooth, and none of the guides were that good back then, so I just piggybacked it onto the back of a usb port just to see if I could actually solder it.
    i used some random soldering iron i found from my dad's days as a networks installer
    used the wires from a usb a-b cable as my wires
    and just tried it out
    worked fine, but both os x and windows told me they had to turn the point off because it was drawing too much power
    so no, soldering is actually pretty easy
    (only soldering i had dont before was 5 years revious I soldered a few LED's and crap in DT)
    so just try it out, and make sure you dont short crap out...
    Rory

rory, Oct 20, 2008
  19. zhaoyi

Joe Harper

Try having a look at the way i did my bluetooth mod on the AA1 i am sure that you could fit a tiny usb hub in the place i put the female USB connector.
    http://joeharper.net/2008/10/02/43/

Regards!

Joe Harper

Joe Harper, Oct 27, 2008
Ask a Question