Bluetooth Dongle Recommendations

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DTL, Jan 1, 2010.

1. DTL

DTL

Hello,

I got an Acer Aspire One (D250) Netbook (OS is Windows XP Home SP3) for Christmas and am looking for recommendations for a small but functional USB Bluetooth Dongle. I need a BT Dongle that is capable for working with a Bluetooth GPS via a virtual serial port.

I purchased a dongle manufactured by ITV but could never get the unit to communicate properly with the GPS. I contact ITV’s tech support and they confirmed that the version of software I received with the dongle have known issues when it came to Virtual Serial ports. They recommended that I download the latest software package (which cost an additional $30.00) but I could download it and try it for 30 days to see if it would work with the BT GPS.
    I installed the new software and still no luck.

So before I purchase another BT Dongle that may not work with the BT GPS, I figured I’d see if anyone here knows of a BT Dongle that for sure will work with the BT GSP and virtual serial ports.

Just as an FYI, I know the problem is not with the BT GPS as I am able to use it with my Dell D620 and IBM Think Pad T22 with no problems.

Thank you in advance for any assistance or advice given, and Happy New Year!!!

Del

DTL, Jan 1, 2010
  2. DTL

smurf_mann

Hi, and happy new year!!
    That sounds like the driver for the dongle, i would check in device manager to see what each laptop says.
    Also, have you tried the same version of bluetooth software on each laptop?

Daniel

**I forgot to add, i have a dongle made by "sweex" it was supplied with bluesoiel version; 2.7.0.8 VoIP Release 070930, if that helps :D **

smurf_mann, Jan 1, 2010
  3. DTL

DTL

Hi Daniel,

I tried the Dongle on another unit and got the same results.
    Checking the device manager shows that there is a Virtual Serial Port there but it is not functioning properly (Yellow !).
    If I attempt to fix the issue Windows says the driver is not compatible. I try to point Windows to the new BT Software it doesn't find a suitable driver. The software for this dongle is also Bluesoleil. From the email I received from IVT’s tech support, I didn’t get a real warm and fuzzy about the latest software working, and it didn’t.

One quick question, with the version of Bluesoleil you’re running are you using or have you been able to use the virtual serial port?

Thanks for your input, and Happy 2010!

DTL, Jan 1, 2010
  4. DTL

smurf_mann

I can connect my Nokia 6300 to the Nokia PC Suite, and thats on the bluetooth serial port, heres a link to a print screen;
    [​IMG] or if that dont work,
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 1545402422

Hmm, have you tried re-installing Bluesoiel? And what versoin of Bluesoiel is it?

Daniel :)

smurf_mann, Jan 1, 2010
  5. DTL

DTL

Daniel

I finally got it to work. There were several issues.
    1) The Bluesoleil software that came with my BT Dongle seems to have an issue dealing with vertual serial ports.

2) The Bluetooth Support Service was disabled on my Netbook. I don't know if that was because of the Bluesoleil software of if it came that way from the factory.

3) The other PC I tried the Dongle on had other BT Software loaded and that was conflicting with the new dongle.

To fix the issue I uninstalled the IVT Bluesoleil software, enable the Windows Bluetooth support service let Winodws install it's own BT drivers. As soon as I did that there were two vertual serial ports in the device manager and I was able to connect to and use my Bluetooth GPS.

All is well now, Thanks for you input and Happy 2010!!

Del

DTL, Jan 1, 2010
  6. DTL

smurf_mann

Aha!! great!!
    Glad you got it sorted, and happy new year!!

Daniel :)

smurf_mann, Jan 1, 2010
Ask a Question