Blue screen of death (BSOD)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Striderg23, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Striderg23

Striderg23

Hello,

I have and AAO running windows XP. and bios v0.3309. The BSOD first came on while I was online, and now it will not go past startup. The windows Xp logo shows up, and after 5 seconds, the BSOD shows up and restarts. I cannot even boot into safe mode because the same thing happens.

Thanks for reading this and your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Striderg23, Apr 22, 2009
  2. Striderg23

Tamrac

What software/driver did you last install before it BSOD'ed? That could be the reason. Try pressing F8 during boot, and select "last known configuration that worked". If that does not work, try SAFE MODE and uninstall/disable the hardware or driver you last installed.

Tamrac, Apr 22, 2009
  3. Striderg23

Striderg23

Thanks for the reply. I sent it in to acer to get a speaker repaired, and they updated the Bios as well. That was over 3 weeks ago.
    Even when I try to boot into the "last know configuration" and safe mode, both end up with a BSOD. Is there anyway to downgrade the Bios without going into safe mode?

Striderg23, Apr 22, 2009
  4. Striderg23

Tamrac

You don't go into SAFE MODE to re flash the BIOS. You need to make a bootable USB stick using unibootin, and a copy of the BIOS. Do a search, there are lots of threads about this here. :)

PS- I don't think it's a BIOS issue though.... can you read the error code when it BSOD? If you can, kindly post it here.

Tamrac, Apr 22, 2009
  5. Striderg23

Striderg23

It shows:

Technical information:
    *** Stop: 0x000000ED (0x86BC4B18, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Striderg23, Apr 22, 2009
  6. Striderg23

Striderg23

The rest of the error show Unmountable_boot_volume.

I have tried at least 10 times to create a boot drive using the copies of XP I have, but when I get to the recovery console and type in Chkdsk, i displayed "autochk.exe" could not be found.

Please help.

Striderg23, Apr 24, 2009
  7. Striderg23

Tamrac

That sounds bad.... I don't like to sound so negative... but that error sounds like there's significant corruption on the HD, or worse the drive may be dying. :(

In reovery console, can you still see drive c:? try to look if you can still access the windows folder. If not, then the drive is indeed corrupted or crashed.

Tamrac, Apr 25, 2009
  8. Striderg23

Striderg23

I finally got it working. I gave up on trying to create a usb boot disk and purchased an external dvd drive. Booted my copy of xp, hit the "r" for repair, and ran chkdsk /r. Afterwards it booted up as normal. Now it is time to backup the stuff i did not before.

Thanks for your help, your question about what the error message showed got me to look more into unmountable_boot_volume and finally a solution for it.

I also found out during this ordeal that the acer tech support in not very good. They told me the only way to fix the problem is to restore the HD to factory setting, thus, losing everything on my HD.

Good thing i did not listen.

Striderg23, Apr 25, 2009
  9. Striderg23

jason.moody

im having the same problem, i created bootable usb however it crashed to the bsod before i can select repair... the windows boot is still loading drivers, any suggestions?

jason.moody, Jun 26, 2009
Ask a Question