Blu-Ray drive

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by fgoupil, Aug 5, 2009.

1. fgoupil

fgoupil

Hello all,

I own an Acer Aspire One 751 and installed the right codecs to get HD playback without problems. Since I can read video files that are of the same video format than Blu-Ray discs, I am wondering if I would be able to hook an external Blu-Ray drive in order to watch Hi-Def movies on my netbook using PowerDVD 9. Would this work? Has anyone done that? I am mostly concerned by the fact that one needs HDCP support to play those discs and I don't knwo if this applies to laptops/netbooks or not...

Thanks for your help !

François

fgoupil, Aug 5, 2009
  2. fgoupil

ashram

i have both an hd dvd and blu-ray drive, BUT since i'm running windows 7, i have to wait for a new player to arrive that will work with my broadcom accelerator for hd dvd/blu-ray playback..

also, realize that just because you can read the same file format as blu doesn't mean you can play it off a disc...

as far as hdcp support, i think you should be fine if you're playing it on you 751, if it can. if you want to output it, then you'll need an app like any hd dvd to allow video out on non-digital outputs...

that's what i had to do on my laptop

ashram, Aug 5, 2009
  3. fgoupil

jerryt

Ashram, How about trying the Arcsoft directshow filter in Zoomplayer (SageTV, etc) and getting HA from the Broadcomm card on different file types?

jerryt, Aug 5, 2009
  4. fgoupil

ashram

does zoomplayer support hd dvd/blu ray?

i know so far total media theater (hp variant for this card) has worked great so far, but has no disk (hd dvd/blu) support.

i'll be playing with dell's power cinema/dvd variant tomorrow that supports this card.

ashram, Aug 5, 2009
  5. fgoupil

jerryt

When you get a chance, please post a link.

jerryt, Aug 5, 2009
  6. fgoupil

ashram

no link ...yet... dell is sending me the install cd

ashram, Aug 6, 2009
  7. fgoupil

jerryt

This guy claims to have Bluray with the Broadcom HD Decoder working in Mediacenter and PowerDVD with a different driver;

"WOOHOOO!!! I fixed the problem. Does a little happy dance. Good news one and all. This system actually plays Bluray discs fairly well. The secret is in the driver. The driver included with the system is unrecognizable by MediaCenter and PowerDVD. If you look under Sound, video and game controllers you will see something like Broadcom Link Controller or something very generic like that. Nuh, uh wrong deal. You need to load the actual driver for this device. It will then showup as Broadcom BCM70010/BCM70012 Video Decoder and works like a champ.

I was actually able to uninstall PowerDVD as MediaCenter does it quite nicely all by itself. This has been tested with numerous Bluray movies (including the Planet Earth series). Unfortunately Dell does not have the driver, nor does Broadcom have the driver on their website. Someone else does, but I think I will get in trouble for linking a competitors website. So, do a google search for "driver_decoder_broadcom_os2008084a.exe"

Only a couple pages open up and the first or second one had the driver listed above. Install it and enjoy the wonderful universe of Bluray on the Hybrid. I also want virtual hugs from one and all. I have read page after page of people having this problems on numerous websites. So, fix this and then find one of the other poor saps and tell them the good news."

Post from here;
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19154229.aspx

jerryt, Aug 6, 2009
  8. fgoupil

jerryt

Is this the CD?
    MediaDirect Reinstall CD is created for MediaDirect 4.0.4304 + BDPack 4.0.4224

jerryt, Aug 6, 2009
  9. fgoupil

ashram

that's the disk, but it complains about "unspupported video driver"

i'll try the driver from the past above.

update:
    no luck :( it's not liking the video driver.... this driver also breaks compatibility with total media theater (hp version)

broadcom should just release a universal driver, like they do with bluetooth.

ashram, Aug 7, 2009
  10. fgoupil

jerryt

Here is someone who claims to have the Broadcom Decoder working with KMPlayer.
    http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... eb3#p11882

jerryt, Aug 9, 2009
Ask a Question