Blocking the #%$& Sign-Up Pop-ups

Discussion in 'Windows' started by GearZ, Mar 11, 2016.

1. GearZ

GearZ

So, I run two ad blockers and Ghostery on nearly all my devices. Why? A few years ago I finally had it with all the obnoxious web ads larding up sites. I don't have a problem with monetizing sites, but at some point, enough already.

Anyway, they've worked well enough for ads, but they aren't stopping the most obnoxious ones of all: those windows that pop up asking for you to give them your email address, to sign up, etc. There is nothing more annoying to get onto an article want to read, get part way through it, only to have that garbage pushed up front and center.

To date, I haven't really found a tool that blocks these kind. Anyone know what I can try?

Thanks all.

GearZ, Mar 11, 2016
    IcyBC and IBMPC8088 like this.
  2. GearZ

IBMPC8088

You've probably already given Adblock Plus a try if you're using the other alternatives by now. If not, that one definitely works for a lot of popups. Some of the sites are trying to use HTML5 tricks and other methods to do pop-ups that weren't possible or common before. You might be able to block some of these with the settings of Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or Safari directly, but it can limit functionality of the other sites you still want to use if you do.

I feel ya when it comes to the pop-ups. They're always a thorn in my side when I'm just trying to surf the web and look for something specifically, and people want to be clickbait sites anymore instead of useful articles. There are times I've even resorted to old browsers and using Lynx (text-based browser) exclusiely just to get info without all the pop-up attempts and page-loads. Even when you use a blocker, it still has to process all of those and filter them out which takes time and more resources (not nearly as much as the ads loading, but still enough to notice)

If I find out or discover more on how to overcome the new methods beinig used to do those pop-ups, I'll comment back again and share it so it can help you and others.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088, Mar 11, 2016
    GearZ likes this.
  3. GearZ

GearZ

Indeed, I've tried Adblock. The two I run on all boxes are AdBlock Plus and Ghostery. I've tried UBlock too. They work for the vast majority of ads, video shenanigans, and pop-ups. It is just those blasted sign-up types that just seem to always get past.

The next time I see one, I will get a screenshot, URL, to show what I mean specifically. Thanks for the assistance. Much appreciated.

GearZ, Mar 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. GearZ

Corzhens

That is the reason why we did away with the IE because it couldn't flag out the pop ups in spite of the setting. With Chrome and Firefox, the pop ups are not really eradicated by greatly minimized. Using the IE before, the pop ups were annoying so we tried to find a way and the only way that we see is to shift to another browser. Opera is also okay although Firefox and Chrome are more than enough to block the pop ups.

Corzhens, Mar 12, 2016
  5. GearZ

GearZ

To clarify, I'm using Chrome on all devices (Windows, Mac OS, and Android). I couldn't be paid to use IE. ;)

GearZ, Mar 12, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  6. GearZ

IcyBC

I also hate clicking on a link to read only to find the annoying pop up asking to sign up. I usually just got out of there, and not reading or spending time on that website. I have only used AdBlocker and for most part it worked well on Chrome and Firefox. Now I am on MacBook and use Safari exclusively.

IcyBC, Mar 12, 2016
  7. GearZ

something back

something back, Mar 12, 2016
  8. GearZ

GearZ

Thanks for the links, something back. But I am 100% positive there is no malware involved and the sites are working as designed. I see it under various flavors of Windows and on Mac OS X too.

GearZ, Mar 15, 2016
Ask a Question