Blackberry USB Connection

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mkdave1955, Dec 15, 2008.

1. mkdave1955

mkdave1955

I would like to connect by a USB cable my Blackberry 8820 to my Acer One (120 gig, 512 RAM), which is running the bog standard linpus lite with the xfce 4 desktop. I only had my Acer for a week so I'm a newbie.
    When I connect the two devices, the Blackberry screen shows "USB charging current is not sufficient. .................................". In effect the device is not recognised. In Windows I can use Blackberry Desktop Manager, but Blackberry don't support linux.
    All I want to do is to connect by USB and transfer say a word processor document or spreadsheet from one device to the other so that I can create and amend work on my Acer One and then email the product to my colleagues.
    I don't want to synchronise my emails or anything else fancy. I can understand simple commands and I used to be OK at MSDOS. If we can avoid it I would rather steer clear of wholesale software changes as I want to give the lipus lite a good go before I move on to something more complicated.
    Alternatively, would it be easier to dual boot my Acer One with Windows XP and use the Blackberry software?
    Would installing the Gnome or KDE desktop help any?
    Would anybody recommend which desktop I try?
    If I didn't get on with these desktops, could I revert to the Acer desktop as it comes out of the box?
    :?:

mkdave1955, Dec 15, 2008
  2. mkdave1955

rbil

I don't own a blackberry, so not speaking from personal experience, but this blog entry suggests that it is easy to get Linux to mount a SD card installed in a blackberry.

http://www.chipbennett.net/wordpress/in ... -in-linux/

Although they refer to Ubuntu here, more than likely any Linux would have the capability once you've told the blackberry how to treat its SD card.

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 15, 2008
  3. mkdave1955

mkdave1955

Thanks, I've made the settings changes to my BlackBerry and I've ordered a 2 GB micro sd card.
    Happy New Year,
    David :lol:

mkdave1955, Dec 27, 2008
  4. mkdave1955

noobeeJF

its probably already been explained in the link David, but i have Blackberry 8110, and first time i plugged it into my Acer (8gig 512 ram) i got the same insufficient power message, but after a few seconds, the screen went to the standard 'enable mass storage window with the yes/no option, clicking yes and the acer recognizes the card installed no problem, just as in an SD card or USB stick
    oh, and Tescos are doing the micro SD's half price lol :mrgreen:

noobeeJF, Dec 27, 2008
  5. mkdave1955

fweigel

sudo yum install barry

Use "bcharge" to change the blackberry charging current.

Use "barrybackup" to backup your blackberry (this is a GUI program).

Set the micro-sd to be a usb storage device -- it will show up when plugged in automatically.

Use "pppob" to allow network tethering with your blackberry. Example: "sudo pppd call barry-rogers" (substitute barry-verizon, barry-tmobileus, barry-sprint or barry-o2ireland as appropriate -- other providers will take more work).

Other barry tools are bidentify to identify your blackberry, upldif to upload ldif contact info, btool to do "low-level" manipulation of your blackberry, and bs11nread to read database serialization file.

Have Fun!

fweigel, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question