black screen

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by hightowerhalpin, Mar 3, 2012.

1. hightowerhalpin

hightowerhalpin

I replaced a cracked screen in my acer - put in new screen and it was dark - held torch up against it and could see it so put old screen back in same thing was dark.sent new screen back and got another fitted and same thing. so i ordered new screen cable and its still the same. any ideas

hightowerhalpin, Mar 3, 2012
  2. hightowerhalpin

OldPhil

No sure if this will help your issue but worth a try, I fooled around trying to hook mine to my TV I ended up with a black screen. I posted and was advised to try FN + F5 or FN +F6. Mine has worked fine since.

Phil

OldPhil, May 9, 2012
  3. hightowerhalpin

Swarvey Moderator

I've replaced screens in AAO's before and haven't seen this happen, but I do have some suggestions.

First make sure the cable in is firmly connected to the motherboard, unplug and replug it if necessary. Check for any loose wires that may have been accidentally pulled out of the connector during disassembly.

Did your replacement screen come with a replacement backlight? Or were you meant to swap out the backlight from your old screen?

Given the above, when your screen was cracked, was it serious damage like being stood on? If you've damaged the backligh then that would explain something.

If there was a short in the backlight as a result of the damage, it could have in-turn caused damage to the motherboard, which is now preventing any backlight from working.

If you have an LED backlight, there shouldn't be any problem, but in the case of a cold cathode backlight, they usually "slide" in along the top border of the screen. Hopefully it's not damaged.

Swarvey, May 9, 2012
  4. hightowerhalpin

PCNetSpec

What model of Acer ?

Did the new screen come with a new inverter ?

Lets be clear about thsi .. you can see a picture with a torch, but the backlight isn't working ?

Is it possible for you to test it with an external monitor ?

PCNetSpec, May 10, 2012
Ask a Question