Black screen, Error 15 and no booting on Linux :(

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Scottola, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Scottola

Scottola

My AAO has been working fine and today I came home from working booted it up, only to be presented by a black screen with 'error 15' written on the screen :(

I don't particularly want to restore yet, so was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Scottola, Sep 9, 2008
  2. Scottola

Scottola

I decided to return my One to scratch and annoyingly installing from a external CD drive it errors out at 93% and the same when trying to create a USB boot disk.

I'm doomed, all I get on boot up now is the letter 'L' on a black screen. I'm not happy :(

Scottola, Sep 10, 2008
  3. Scottola

N6546R

Error 15 is I believe Grub's "File not found" message during boot. When you reinstalled, did you choose the 'use entire disk' option?

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Sep 10, 2008
  4. Scottola

JimK

I had something similar happen to me. I was trying out a liver USB with Fedora 9 XFCE spin on it. But after I took out the USB and rebooted, I got a black screen with an error message (Sorry I can't remember if it said Error 15 or Error 13 or what.) I did not try to install it or even access the SSD, so it should not have damaged the system. I ended up doing a system restore (I've probably done about four so far. :) )

But you may be able to recover. If you hit tab at the right time at the beginning of the boot process, you may be able to access and edit the GRUB boot menu. I'm not sure of the details, so you may do some Googling or somebody else here may know.

JimK, Sep 11, 2008
  5. Scottola

edgecrush3r

Try booting from an USB stick which contains an working grub.
    Then go to the GRUB command line pressing ESC (or 'c' in textmode).
    From the GRUB interface you should be able to boot back to your OS once you figured out which the active booting partition should be.

cheers,
    tony

edgecrush3r, Sep 11, 2008
  6. Scottola

pixiecat

My aspire one also goes to a black screen; no error though. I just bought it yesterday. Except for mine goes to a black screen after it starts up and it stops responding. Fans are still running and green power button light is on, but hard drive is not running. I have to hold the power button in and restart. I noticed that it only does it when it is running on battery. I changed the power settings and nothing. It does it even when I am typing. I'm either going to call Acer or try to bring it back to where I bought it. Anybody have any ideas on what the cause could be before I do that?

pixiecat, Sep 12, 2008
  7. Scottola

Scottola

I just picked up my new Acer today after taking the other one back, it seemed the easiest option. It's nice to be back.

Scottola, Sep 15, 2008
Ask a Question