Black and white lines and no icons! Help!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by brynston, Feb 28, 2009.

1. brynston

brynston

For some reason my aa1 (running linpux) has started up today with no desktop icons, although it does have the bar at the bottom, and only displaying black and white stripes. Only thing that might have caused it was installling GIMP. Help!(Relative newbie so nice n easy instructions please)

brynston, Feb 28, 2009
  2. brynston

daldred

Is this with the basic (original Acer) desktop, or the 'advanced' XFCE desktop?

If it's the basic one, does ALT-F2 still bring up a run dialog? If so, type
    Code:
    xfdesktop2
    into the dialog and click 'run'. This may start the desktop; if not, try again but this time tick the 'run in terminal' box, use the same command, and see what error messages are generated.

daldred, Feb 28, 2009
  3. brynston

brynston

Its with the advanced desktop. I can get the terminal up but don't what to do next?

brynston, Mar 1, 2009
  4. brynston

daldred

Ok; in the terminal try typing

Code:
    xfce-setting-show
    and see if you can improve anything by using the settings functions in XFCE. I'd suggest looking at the display settings first: the black and white stripes thing sounds like the monitor setting is wrong (though usually you wouldn't get even the bar at the bottom in that case!)

If you get error messages in the terminal instead of a settings dialog, then post them back here.

daldred, Mar 1, 2009
  5. brynston

brynston

ok, now that was weird. Opened xfce settings and noticed 'allow xfce to manage desktop' was not checked, so checked it and re-started. Now got fuzzy ghost of settings page as well as the black and white stripes! Does not look good.........

brynston, Mar 1, 2009
  6. brynston

h11tsr

I used the forum instructions to enable the right click on the desktop and all seemed great, but on restarting the standard Acer desktop has disappeared? :?
    All I see is a splash page with Aspire One and a search bar. I had gone into the Emarald Theme Manager to change colours etc but nothing else.

The rightclick works and menu is there allowing me to run stuff, but I bought this for my fiance and she is a complete novice, so I really liked the Acer simple menu.

How do I get this Acer desktop back???

h11tsr, Mar 7, 2009
  7. brynston

h11tsr

OK. Sorted

Press Alt-F2
    Enter "xfce-setting-show" to bring up the Xfce settings manager
    Click Desktop icon
    Make sure the Allow xfce to manage the desktop is checked
    Click the Behaviour tab
    Under the Desktop Icons, choose the icon type you require

Mine was set to None .... hence no icons ... simple really