Bizarre boot problem on factory-sealed unit

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by floor9, Jan 1, 2009.

1. floor9

floor9

I searched both here and Google, but haven't seen anyone report this same problem. I just opened my brand-new, factory-sealed unit and turned it on. This is a Linpus-based 8gb SSD / 512mb model (AOA110 / ZG5). Instead of anything vaguely Linux-related, I get a Windows 98 (that's right; 98, not XP) boot menu with these options:

Code:
    1. ZG5 ASS'Y+RELOAD TEST
    2. ZG5 RUNIN TEST
    3. ZG5 FINAL WINXP+DOS TEST
    4. ZG5 FQA TEST ------ {DEFAULT}
    5. ZG5 SINGEL TEST
    6. ZG5 RUNIN 24 HOUR TEST
    7. SELECT DEFAULT TEST ITEM ( STATION )
    All spelling errors are as they appear on-screen. The options take me to different various text-based automated testing scripts (CRT, sound, LAN, battery, etc). Dropping straight to a command prompt (SHIFT-F5) shows me a standard DOS environment with the following directories on the C: drive (which is also the only drive in the system):

FINAL
    RELOAD
    RUNIN
    CHANGE
    TEMP

None of the standard DOS apps (chkdsk, edit, etc) appear to be present. The drive has 61mb of files and about 375mb free. I double-checked; there are no flash cards in the device. I have the restore disc and am going to try doing a proper install (after trying all the options, of course!), but this is truly bizarre coming from a factory-sealed machine. Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm copying the entire drive contents over to a thumb drive before "restoring" to Linpus. Also, since they were kind enough to include Ghost on the drive, I'm creating an image as well. Never hurts to have a backup for you backup. :)

floor9, Jan 1, 2009
  2. floor9

dskid807

These are probably the factory diagnostics acer run before installing an OS. An upload of these would be rather good because I don't think these diagnostic modes have not been previously found.

dskid807, Jan 1, 2009
  3. floor9

floor9

It looks exactly like some kind of pre-ship testing. Some of the apps have "Copyright Quanta Computer" across the bottom.

I started playing around with more of the options in there. The "Singel test" had a lot of cool DOS-mode apps to detect/control various laptop states. Lid open/closed, fan on/off, etc. Also, I found a batch file called "testXP" that launches a barebones version of Windows XP. Neat. Definitely cool stuff in there.

I'll have to dig through the files and remove the blatantly prohibited stuff (don't want to hand out an XP distribution). I'll see if I can isolate the batch files and Quanta testing apps.

floor9, Jan 1, 2009
  4. floor9

dskid807

Ok thanks. I can probably work out new batch files of my own doing and I don't want the copyrighted stuff because I'm not one of those people that like warez. I'm guessing it's the diags they use before shipping and if a laptop is sent in for repair. Does the barebones version of XP have any networking etc.? I have a stripped down version of XP that is barebones for my system testing, I just use it to check a system will boot and install XP as my slimmed down install is done in less that 10 mins normally. I'm guessing that's what the TestXP is. These diagnostics may also help us work out what recovery XP on linpus is to do with. It may have been on the testing units so that these diagnostics would boot from a hidden partition on the SSD/HDD.

dskid807, Jan 2, 2009
  5. floor9

Netbook Nick

I can guarantee you that everything on the OP's AAO is held in copyright by Quanta and even the OP technically does not hold rights to the software. It was never intended to be released with the final product and as such, is legally protected from what your'e trying to do (distribute it).

Netbook Nick, Jan 2, 2009
  6. floor9

floor9

Well, it's irrelevant. The thumb drive on which it was stored is corrupt. I'm running recovery tools now, but I'm not holding my breath.

floor9, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question