BIOS v3305 downgrade to 3109 disaster

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by xps, Nov 7, 2008.

1. xps

xps

I have a AA1 150 (xp, 160GB) on 3305 for a week. Frustrated with battery life and backlight. Flashed to 3109 using the dos flastit tool and it seemed to be successful but the AA1 hangs after the BIOS logo appears. Pressing F2 will show "please wait" forever.

What went wrong? BIOS in new AA1 not downgradable?

I tried to use the blind BIOS recovery method using original firmware 3305 and flashing seems successful but again, same problem.

I am not sure any one has seen this AA1 service guide?

Any thoughts?

xps, Nov 7, 2008
  2. xps

solman

i also thought about downgrading my bios to restore the original backlight levels, but resisted thinking something 'bad' would happen. after reading your story i think i'll leave it as-is.

have you checked out macle's blog about the bios recovery steps? http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html

the first day i got my aa1 i got the dreaded black screen, and his steps helped me restore the bios.

solman, Nov 7, 2008
  3. xps

xps

Macles' method? Yes, the BIOS recovery method as mentioned went through, usb key blinking for a while but the AA1 didn't restart after that. Took out battery, reboot and problem still there.

Just got to visit Acer service center on Monday. :?

xps, Nov 7, 2008
  4. xps

solman

when i used mace's method it failed the first 2 times, the third time it worked.

solman, Nov 7, 2008
  5. xps

annafil

I had a slightly different problem but probably due to a similar cause

I upgraded the bios to 3114, then downgraded back to 3109 which was my original bios on the laptop. When I tried to upgrade to 3305 to fix the black screen issue, i found i couldn't update the bios anymore

it's like the bios was permanently stuck in 3109, it will go through the flashing motions say everyhting is ok, but wont take effect

showed it to the service centre guys, they're changing my mobo for me.

how much worse is the battery life on 3305 than the earlier bios versions?

annafil, Nov 8, 2008
  6. xps

xps

Battery life with power saver mode, backlight set to minimum, wifi on, minimum surfing, around 2 hours. Without wifi, around 2.3 hour. Pathetic isn't it?

xps, Nov 8, 2008
  7. xps

annafil

well, youre not gonna get much more than that. are u using the xp model with a hdd or ssd?

i can sqeueeze out 2.5 hours tops after endless tweaking which is why i ordered the 6 cell :)

annafil, Nov 8, 2008
  8. xps

xps

Yes, XP with 160GB HDD. too bad 6 cell battery is not available here in Malaysia yet.

xps, Nov 8, 2008
  9. xps

annafil

lol dude i'm in msya :) you can ask the service center to order one for you, for rm327 but need to wait a couple of weeks for them to get stock from taiwan

annafil, Nov 8, 2008
Ask a Question