BIOS v.3114 - fan, heat issues

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by lmfs, Aug 8, 2008.

1. lmfs

Sid

Dunno, I stayed with the old version.

Sid, Aug 13, 2008
  2. lmfs

newg

I just bought one with 1GB/120GB Win XP and BIOS v.3114. The first time I booted I noticed the always-on fan and the whining fan noise. I found this site and downgraded the BIOS to v.3109, but the noise is still there.

newg, Aug 23, 2008
  3. lmfs

johnfranuk

Hi newg,

This is really interesting, I did not know that v.3114 was now shipping as standard. Other than the fan isssue are you noticing any differences?

Many thanks.

johnfranuk, Aug 25, 2008
  4. lmfs

erazar

I can confirm that the new bios is shipped out, My AA1 has this, along with xp out of the box. Same issues for me, my aa1 has a constant running fan (at least almost constant) while my friend with a linpus converted to xp aa1 has almost no fan issues..

Other things.. well it feels like mine is a bit more wifi happy, but this could be random.. more stable and a bit faster on net. That is it I think.. but this fan issue.. must fix!

erazar, Aug 25, 2008
  5. lmfs

Frojd

Frojd, Aug 25, 2008
  6. lmfs

KiNG

my new aspire one linux 120gb from pcworld came with this bios, nps at all with it.

KiNG, Aug 25, 2008
  7. lmfs

johnfranuk

Hi,

Two things; can you help me out with the meaning of "nps"?

Secondly, is their a way to control the fan from within Linpus Linux, I might have missed a thread here but other threads appear to be dealing with XP or Vista.

Thanks

johnfranuk, Aug 26, 2008
  8. lmfs

KiNG

nps = no problems

KiNG, Aug 27, 2008
  9. lmfs

brachiopod

This sure sounds similar to the saga on the eeePC; first fan complaints, then people saying that the fan does not turn off at all, then a new BIOS that was supposed to fix the fan but some said it just made it worse, then people saying that if they did any BIOS upgrade it made their fan stay on, some saying theirs was fine... I don't know the whole story.

brachiopod, Aug 27, 2008
  10. lmfs

gbee

Like a lot of people I don't and have never had a problem with fan noise, the fan might run all the time but it's inaudible unless you stick your ear next to the output on the left hand side. I've got extremely good hearing too and use mine in libraries. This is with the 3109 bios, but I think that's irrelevant, one of the manufacturers must just be using a noisier fan so this is a hardware and not software issue.

gbee, Aug 28, 2008
  11. lmfs

lgmayka

I need to resolve the Disappearing Wifi problem in WinXP. Is this the BIOS that everyone is installing successfully? I'm not familiar with Humyo--do I need to create an account in order to download the file? (I don't see any way to download it otherwise.)

lgmayka, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question